Best Cloud Hosting – Make Your Website Fly!
2019 October 11th at 5:01
Cloud hosting is one of the best hosting options overall - it's affordable and can be as powerful as you need it to be. That's why so many users are choosing the service - it's good both for personal blogs, business websites, and apps.
At the same time, more and more providers are offering cloud hosting packages.
So we went straight ahead and picked the 7 best providers. They all will be great for business, personal sites, and large online projects.
The Best Cloud Hosting Providers
To get a good cloud hosting provider, you should look at security features, performance, and pricing. That's exactly what we tested when evaluating all of the cloud hosting providers.
Here are the 7 best cloud hosting providers:
1. Liquid Web - overall the best cloud hosting provider.
2. Hostinger - affordable and powerful cloud hosting.
3. A2 Hosting - the best cloud hosting for flexibility.
4. HostGator - the best beginner-friendly cloud hosting.
5. InterServer - month-to-month cloud hosting.
6. Cloudways - the best cloud hosting management.
7. InMotion - professional Cloud server hosting.
So let's see what all of these providers can offer for your website.
1. Liquid Web - Best Cloud Hosting for All Kinds of Users
Liquid Web is a managed hosting service that aims to make your website fast and reliable. Most importantly, it has cloud hosting options for all kinds of users - from small businesses and agencies to enterprise solutions and mission-critical apps.
The best part is, Liquid Web promises to deploy any server in minutes - this is where the managed service pricing pays off.
Users can choose from 3 cloud hosting options: Cloud VPS, Dedicated Cloud, and Cloud Sites. That's by far the biggest choice of different Cloud services any provider can offer.
Starting at $29/mo you can get Cloud VPS hosting - that's a basic package to start any kind of website or project.
If you need more scalability, security, and privacy, there's Cloud Dedicated Server hosting starting at $119/mo.
But there's something even better if you don't want to bother with hosting specs and techs. Liquid Web's own Cloud Sites platform starting at $150/mo (the first 3 months is $51/mo) is designed for agencies looking to simplify their work managing multiple websites at a time.
Still, no matter which option you choose, you'll be able to launch your site in minutes and enjoy the top-level performance with 24/7 support managing your services.
Liquid Web Performance Results
Liquid Web is the best cloud hosting provider not just for the extensive services it has. In fact, the provider shows some of the best performance results. We've recorded an average response time of 218ms.
Liquid Web also has a very brave 100% uptime guarantee. And as you can see from our tracker results - it manages to maintain it.
So apart from powerful cloud hosting, what else does Liquid Web offer?
Liquid Web Cloud Sites™
Liquid Web Cloud Sites is made to easily deploy unlimited websites, check databases, create customer and employee accounts, and track usage statistics. So it's perfect for agencies that simply want to design websites and ship them to clients - without bothering with technical stuff of hosting.
To create a new website, you'll simply need to click on Create Website, choose an application, and fill in your or your client's details.
After that, your website is ready to be published - you just need to do your part designing it while the backend is taken care of by experts.
And if there's any trouble at any point - you can reach support 24/7. They'll help you both with site performance and diagnosing problems.
Liquid Web has everything for any user - from the most simple to the most advanced cloud hosting solutions. Not to mention excellent performance, reliability, and 24/7 customer support.
- Many different options for various users
- Excellent server performance
- Professional hosting management
- Pricing is rather expensive
2. Hostinger - Powerful Cloud Hosting for an Affordable Price
Hostinger has always been aiming to provide top performance hosting at an affordable price. And it clearly succeeds. Designed for business users, Hostinger's Cloud platform is easy to use, affordable, and very powerful. You can expect your site to always be available and loading at lightning speed.
The cheapest Hostinger cloud hosting plan costs $9.99/mo and already includes everything for a simple start of a website. That's 1-click installs, free domain registration, SSL certificate, Cloudflare CDN, and much much more.
The 24/7 team monitors and manages your backend, so servers can always function at optimal performance. All you need to do - design and launch your website.
You can do that from a custom and very intuitive Hostinger's control panel. There you'll find both 1-click installs for CMSs like WordPress, and an easy to use website builder. So if you're a business owner with a tight budget - you can simply make a website yourself.
What's the most impressive, is that Hostinger does all of this for an affordable price and with a hard-to-beat performance.
Hostinger Performance Results
In terms of performance, Hostinger shows the best results. We've been tracking 171ms average response time results. The live tracker often records results even lower than 100ms as you can see in the provider's table.
Hostinger also shows very reliable availability results. It averages at 100% uptime despite offering only 99.9% - the industry-standard guarantee.
Hostinger's Speed and Security Features
Hostinger excels at making its platform fast and secure. But it also gives tools so the users can make it even better.
To increase your site loading speed and strengthen the security, you get a couple of very useful features.
- The integrated caching tool is very easy to use and can make your site load much faster. It stores static website data in the visitor's browser, so when they visit the site again - there's no need to deliver it from the server. Data is quickly delivered from the visitor's own browser.
- Cloudflare Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a network of servers placed all around the world - all of which are capable of delivering your website's data. It works in several ways - makes your site load faster, protects you against DDoS attacks, and can potentially save you from the downtime.
- Daily backups get you a fresh backup of a fully functioning website every single day. Should something happen, you can simply restore your site from a backup.
- Access Manager takes care of your security. The tool allows you to block malicious IPs so they wouldn't be able to access your website. In the same way, you can block spammers.
So not only Hostinger is easy to use, fast, but it also gives you tools to increase website security and speed.
Hostinger fulfills its goal to offer fast, affordable, and user-friendly hosting solutions. Its cloud hosting platform has some of the best performance, security features, and customer support at an affordable price.
- Affordable pricing
- Very easy to use
- Great server performance
- Disk space is limited
- Might lack advanced scalability options
3. A2 Hosting - Flexible Hosting for Specific Needs
A2 Hosting provides an affordable yet completely configurable Cloud VPS hosting solution. Because you can freely choose everything - from RAM to disk space to bandwidth, you can build a perfect plan for your needs. And the provider will launch your site in minutes.
This way A2 Hosting ensures to provide the right option to everyone - from personal website owners to big business users. It means optimal performance at an affordable price - there's no need to pay for the resource you don't need. And you can always scale up when your site grows.
Starting at $5/mo, you'll get 1 CPU core server with 20GB of storage, 512MB memory, and 2TB of bandwidth. You can also choose a server location to host your site closer to the audience - there are 4 server locations available in the USA, Europe, and Asia. If you need, there's also a choice for server OS and control panel.
So if you are looking for great performance, custom plans, and affordable pricing - A2 Hosting is definitely worth a shot.
A2 Hosting Performance Results
A2 Hosting performance results without additional speed-enhancing tools are really good. The provider averages at 297ms response time.
A2 Hosting has a standard 99.9% uptime guarantee. However, it manages to average at 100% most of the time, making your website reliable and available.
A2 Hosting Server Customizability
Different online projects need different server resources and A2 Hosting understands that. It offers a completely custom solution, so each user can design a server to fit their needs best.
Signing up for A2 Hosting, you get a lot of choices:
- You can choose disk space from 20 to 250GB.
- CPU can go from 1 to 12 cores to make the server as powerful as you need it to be.
- Memory goes from 512MB to 32GB.
- Bandwidth to allow uninterrupted data transfer goes from 2TB to 9TB.
And that's not all. You also have a choice of 17 operating systems, a control panel, speed boosters, and server location.
This way, you can configure a perfect solution just for you. Whether you are expecting high-traffic levels or building a content-heavy website - you won't need to pay for the resources you don't need.
If you are looking for a personalized cloud hosting plan, A2 Hosting is a choice for you. It offers fast performance, pricing depending on your needs, and fully customizable plans.
- Highly customizable
- Great server performance
- Only pay for what you need
- Does not include a domain name
- SSL certificate is not included
- Requires more technical knowledge
4. HostGator - Best Cheap Beginner-Oriented Cloud Hosting
HostGator has designed a beginner-friendly and high-performance cloud hosting option. Although it's one of the cheapest cloud hosting providers available, HostGator's plans are really powerful.
The pricing for the cheapest Hatchling plan starts at $4.95/mo. And it gives you enough server resources not just for a small personal website, but it will be enough even for a big eCommerce store. You'll get 2 CPU cores, 2GB of memory, unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited disk space. Not to mention a domain name and an essential SSL certificate.
To make the offer even more attractive, HostGator includes a cPanel for free. It's by far the most intuitive control panel you can get - even a beginner can find one-click installs for WordPress or hundreds of other apps, configure domain name settings, or access file manager.
So what does the provider offer from the performance side?
HostGator Performance Results
As a very cheap cloud hosting provider, HostGator lags a little bit behind other providers. However, the result is still great - 375ms average response time.
And unlike the performance, HostGator keeps the uptime at 100% most of the time. So if you look for an affordable cloud hosting option that's reliable - HostGator is definitely the best option.
HostGator's Easy to Use Hosting Platform
HostGator makes it very simple to launch, manage, and track your cloud hosting account. In fact, you don't need to have any tech knowledge to be able to use its intuitive control panel.
HostGator uses cPanel - until recently, it was the most used control panel. With the graphic interface, it's as easy to manage as the apps on your phone.
In the cPanel, you'll find everything to manage your site - file manager, auto-installer scripts, FTP accounts, email accounts and more. Because the interface is visual - everything is done just in a couple of clicks.
It is also nice to see that HostGator does not charge extra for its control panel as many other hosts did after cPanel increased pricing.
So if you're a beginner user, HostGator has a lot to offer. Best of all - at an affordable price and premium-level performance.
HostGator combines cheap pricing, fast server performance, and ease of use so even beginner users can enjoy the benefits of cloud hosting.
- Very user-friendly
- Includes cPanel
- Affordable pricing
- Performance could be better
- Might lack advanced scalability options
5. InterServer - Scalable Month-to-Month Cloud Hosting
InterService offers a flexible cloud hosting service that will fit both small and big projects. It's based on a month-to-month payment basis so if you need a short-term solution - InterServer is the one.
However, it's not limited to just that. Month-to-month payments allow you to configure an optimal plan for your needs. Each month you can adjust server resources in case your website grows or you're expecting high levels of traffic after your marketing campaign.
So you can start at $6/mo which will give you 1 CPU core and 1TB of bandwidth and update up to 16 cores with 15 TB of bandwidth.
So let's take a look at what InterServer delivers on the performance side.
InterServer Performance Results
InterServer is on the poorer side of performance on this list. Nonetheless, the performance still is very impressive - 303ms average response time.
The reliability of InterServer is also great. Throughout the testing, it has remained up at all times without a single minute of downtime.
So in terms of reliability, customizability, and pricing rate, InterServer is one of the best cloud hosting solutions.
Clean Pricing Structure
InterServer has the best pricing structure if you're just getting started or you simply don't know how much server resources you need exactly. It's based on a month-to-month payment basis and the price depends on server resources.
So if you're just launching a new website, you can start with the cheapest option for the first month and adjust as needed - each month.
The best part is, you'll know exactly what you are paying for. So it's good both for short term - you simply are not obliged to renew and long-term, as you will have 16 options to scale.
It's really nice to see that InterServer is transparent about its pricing and is offering excellent value for its services. It's good both for the beginners and big projects alike.
InterServer is the best cloud hosting option for users with constantly changing needs. The month-to-month pricing structure allows you to adjust the resources each month without sacrificing performance and paying for the things you don't need.
- Month-to-month payment structure
- Highly scalable
- Great server performance
- The platform is not the most user-friendly
- Might require some technical knowledge
6. Cloudways - Premium Managed Cloud Hosting Platform
Cloudways is a hosting management service platform that partners with 5 best cloud hosting providers. That is the premium servers of DigitalOcean, Google Cloud, Vultr, AWS, and Linode. It provides top-level hosting management and fast-deployment services. This way every user can enjoy top-level hosting without the need for mastering server technologies.
It's definitely the best solution for busy entrepreneurs and heads of creative agencies.
Choosing Cloudways you sign up for tons of benefits. Even the cheapest plan for $10/mo includes 24/7 expert support, managed backups and security, advanced caching for top performance, and an innovative control panel. So all you'll need to do is select the cloud hosting solution for each of the sites you create.
Still, the best part is - no matter which provider you choose, you'll get the best service and performance possible. Not to mention the instant deployment of the server which is not possible with most of the providers if you buy hosting separately.
Cloudways Performance Results
Cloudways' performance depends on the server provider's performance. That's why we checked out the cheapest option available - DigitalOcean first-tier server. And it left us impressed - the average response time was 254ms. This shows, that you can expect only the best results from Cloudways - even if you choose a cheap plan.
The servers also remained available at all times. Cloudways makes sure to keep their service available 365/24/7, however, SLAs for providers' services depends entirely on them. So your uptime guarantee will need to be checked separately.
Cloudways Managed Cloud Hosting Platform
Cloudways has simplified cloud hosting so you can focus on managing websites, not hosting accounts.
Everything is taken care of by Cloudways experts - you will simply need to choose a server (you can have different provider servers all on one account) and application like WordPress. In a few minutes, it will all be ready.
But the server deployment is not all Cloudways is there for. It will also take care of your security, updates, and problem-solving. 24/7 customer support team is always there to assist you.
Because you can deploy servers from 5 different providers on the same account, Cloudways is a brilliant option for agencies. You can choose the right provider for each of your clients. This way, you ensure optimal performance and pricing.
If you don't want to study the difficult techs and specs of cloud hosting, Cloudways is the right choice for you. The platform takes care of all technical details of your hosting so you can easily manage and design multiple sites.
- Very easy to use
- Excellent 24/7 support
- Great server performance
- Pricing is on the higher side
- Might not be the best option for single users
7. InMotion - Best Cloud Hosting for Developers
InMotion is a premium provider that aims to deliver the best service performance, security, and availability. It focuses on business users relying on high-quality hosting to power their projects.
Even though not the cheapest, InMotion Hosting is definitely one of the most professional providers out there. With the pricing starting at $21.04/mo, it gives you 4GB RAM, 75GB of storage, 4TB of bandwidth, and 3 IP addresses.
So if you are looking for a truly powerful cloud hosting service - InMotion will deliver.
Just take a look at the host's performance results:
InMotion Performance Results
InMotion Hosting performance is on the slower side of this list. It averages at 342ms response time. The result could definitely be improved yet it's still well above average.
The uptime of InMotion, on the other hand, is excellent. It averages at 100% uptime.
So let's see how InMotion manages to deliver great performance.
InMotion Server Security, Redundancy, and High Speed
InMotion focuses on server security, redundancy, and high performance so that business users can trust their websites to the provider. For that, it implements a bunch of measures and tools so their services are always available, fast, and protected.
All users get a fast redundancy feature - should something happen to one server, the website can be quickly loaded from another. This ensures minimal downtimes that are especially important for business websites - your users will be able to reach you at all times.
Security features include built-in monitoring, scheduled snapshots, DDoS protection, and firewalls.
You get the best performance with unlimited CPU cores. You can allocate as many resources as you need - whether its a simple script or heavy web-based application.
InMotion is an advanced solution for all business needs. Whether you are getting started or need a possibility to introduce more and more CPUs - InMotion is ready to help you.
- Professional development platform
- Highly scalable
- Expensive pricing
- Requires technical knowledge
Cloud Hosting Basics
Cloud hosting is a relatively new service. Although it's been gaining traction for quite some time now, it still raises quite a few questions for users.
How does it work and is it right for you? Here, we talk about cloud hosting basics - the main definitions, features, pros, and cons.
Cloud Hosting Definitions
Cloud hosting is a technology that creates a virtual Cloud server using the resources of a cluster of physical servers. This way you can get basically unlimited possibilities to scale. Redundancy and server speed is also improved. You can read about in more detail in our What is Cloud Hosting article.
But that is not all. When choosing the best cloud hosting provider, you'll come across multiple definitions. So to choose the right service for you, we've made a quick web hosting glossary that'll help. Here are some of the main tech specifications you should know:
- CPU cores are the processing power of the server. Each core works on a different task, so the more cores you have, the faster your server can deal with multiple tasks - the faster the website will function. Most hosting providers' entry plans offer from 1 to 2 CPU cores and that's enough for a simple website with low traffic levels. But once you grow, you will need to upgrade.
- RAM (Random Access Memory) is what makes it easy and fast to access the required data for one or another task. Data is temporarily stored on a RAM memory card - the more memory you have, the more visitors you can serve at a time. So the amount of RAM depends on your traffic levels. Small to medium websites such as business sites need at least 2GB of RAM. With the growing traffic, you'll be able to easily upgrade.
- Storage is where all of your website's data is stored. The average WordPress site takes around 1GB of this space. Cloud hosting entry plans usually include well over 10GB so you can host around 10 small or 5 heavy-weight websites.
- Bandwidth determines how many visitors and how fast they can reach your website. For a small business website, up to 5GB of bandwidth is more than enough. However, if you host heavy-weight websites and the traffic peaks, you might want to upgrade.
The best part about cloud hosting is that it's completely customizable. You can get a cheap plan with minimal server resources and upgrade at any time. Cloud technology allows adding more and more server resources as you need.
Cloud Hosting Pros
- Unlimited scalability - you can start at a bare minimum and connect as many server resources as you need.
- Better service performance - because a load of tasks is balanced on multiple servers all at once, you can expect better server performance.
- Server redundancy - just like with performance, not one but several servers' resources are used in the Cloud. So should something happen to one server, it won't take the whole Cloud down.
Cloud Hosting Cons
- Higher starting cost - because the technology is relatively new and requires more tech knowledge from the host's side, its starting costs are higher.
- Potential security flaws - hosting providers must implement all the best security measures to host websites on the Cloud. If that's not done correctly, you might face security issues. Our advice - choose only trusted hosting providers.
- Potential downtime - because Cloud servers depend on the internet connection, there's no possibility to completely avoid downtimes.
Best Cloud Hosting FAQs
Cloud hosting can seem complicated - it's a pretty new technology. So if the cloud hosting basics did not cover all that you needed to know, we answered the most commonly asked questions to help you.
Shared Web Hosting and Cloud Server Hosting: What's the Difference?
The difference between web hosting and Cloud server hosting comes down to the technology used. Cloud hosting is combined of multiple servers that store data in the cloud. Web hosting is using a physical machine to host one or multiple user websites.
How Much Does Cloud Hosting Cost?
Cloud hosting cost usually starts at $4 to $6 for an unmanaged or shared Cloud service. Starting at around $10/mo, you can get a fully managed service. If you're ready to pay a bit more, you can find premium private or dedicated Cloud solutions.
Can I Host my Website for Free using Cloud Hosting?
You can find a couple of free cloud hosting providers although we generally don't recommend doing that. All free web hosting is linked to security flaws, poor server performance, and unreliable services
Best Cloud Hosting - the Verdict
Only the providers showing the best results in performance, features, and pricing reached our list of the best cloud hosting.
So now it is up to you to decide which of the hosts is the right one for you. Here's a quick summary of the best cloud hosting features each provider can offer:
1. Liquid Web combines a set of managed cloud hosting packages for all users - from beginners to experienced developers.
2. Hostinger aims and succeeds at making its cloud hosting platform fast, affordable, and easy to use.
3. A2 Hosting is offering personalized cloud hosting solutions for all kinds of websites - from small ones to enterprises.
4. HostGator is the best cloud hosting option for beginners and small to medium websites. It's cheap and user-friendly.
5. InterServer allows you to pay monthly and completely customize your server. Great for your changing needs.
6. Cloudways takes care of the hosting so you can focus on delivering the best products. It's a managed platform for the pros.
7. InMotion is a fast, scalable, and secure cloud hosting for developers working on business projects.
Which is the best cloud provider in your opinion? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section down below!