Magento is one of the most powerful eCommerce platforms well-liked by both small business owners and huge enterprises alike.
In order to achieve the optimal performance and power it is capable of, Magento has to be hosted on a powerful platform as well.
For this reason, I tested dozens of providers that are capable to support the eCommerce software and shortlisted the best Magento hosting options.
But before we head into the details, there are a couple of things you might want to know before choosing a provider.
Things to Consider When Choosing Magento Hosting
Currently, there are 2 Magento options available - the free Magento Opensource and Magento Commerce.
Magento Opensource, just like the name suggests, is a free version that requires your own hosting - I reviewed the providers exactly for this version.
But if you're interested in an enterprise solution, Magento Commerce is an option used by companies such as Burger King, Hewlett-Packard, and BAUHAUS. It is hosted by Magento itself on Cloud servers with the pricing starting at $22.000 per year.
So obviously, Magento Opensource is a much more affordable option. Especially when you can choose shared hosting for the start and upgrade to Cloud or even dedicated servers as you go.
So what exactly is that you need to consider?
#1 Hosting Type
Although it is possible to host Magento on shared servers, VPS or Cloud are highly recommended.
eCommerce platforms tend to require a lot of server resources like memory and CPU. This makes shared hosting only fit for small stores with no more than a couple of dozen products. The more server resources you get, the smoother and faster the store can function and speed is crucial for all sites.
#2 Ease of Use
Hosting providers should have one-click installs for Magento which will make launching a store much easier.
Automatic updates, dedicated customer support, and intuitive control panels are also big advantages. Look for these when choosing where to host your Magento store.
In order to sell online, SSL is a must. It encrypts sensitive data like credit card details so nothing can be stolen from your customers. Dedicated IP, DDoS protection, automated backups, and malware scans also fall into this category.
Because eCommerce stores operate with big amounts of money, security is essential. Choose a provider capable to ensure the protection of both the store and customers.
There are tons of other features that can add to the success of your online store. It might be extra tools for the Magento platform, speed-boosting features, or simply dedicated customer support trained to help with eCommerce platforms.
So after thorough testing, I selected only those providers that meet and exceed the requirements.
The Best Magento Hosting Providers
Magento requires hosting that's fast, secure, and easy to use. Each of the providers on this list is capable of that and more, bringing highly valuable hosting packages.
Here are the 6 best Magento hosting providers:
- Bluehost - fast and affordable Magento hosting.
- HostGator - user- and budget-friendly Magento host.
- Hostinger - optimized hosting for Magento stores.
- A2 Hosting - best Magento hosting for performance.
- InMotion - premium eCommerce store hosting.
- DreamHost - reliable Magento hosting provider.
1. Bluehost - Fast and Affordable Magento Hosting
Bluehost has been known as a fast, reliable, and powerful hosting provider for a long time now. That's exactly what Magento hosting requires. Best of all, the provider offers competitive pricing, so starting an online store will not strip you of your budget.
Bluehost has hosting options for all needs - shared hosting starting at $2.95/mo for the smallest of stores, VPS hosting starting at $18.99/mo for popular online stores, and dedicated servers with entry plan costing $79.99/mo for scaling needs.
In fact, the Bluehost affordable dedicated servers are some of the best and the cheapest in the industry. But it's unlikely that you'd need dedicated hosting at the beginning. So while shared plans are not highly recommended for Magento, let's take a look at the best option - VPS hosting.
Bluehost Magento Hosting Pricing and Features
Bluehost has 3 VPS hosting plans - Standard for $18.99/mo, Enhanced for $29.99/mo, and Ultimate for $59.99/mo. The plans range from 2 to 4 CPUs and from 1 to 3TB of bandwidth.
All of them come with SSL certificates, dedicated IPs, and 24/7 customer support.
In terms of resources, the plans are equipped to handle high-traffic stores with tons of products. Bluehost also adds more features to help out its users:
- cPanel with dozens of auto-installer scripts including Magento.
- Root access gives the possibility for the more advanced users to take full control over the server.
- Extra VPS and WHM control tools to help automate the server management process.
Also, the performance of Bluehost has always been impressive. There's little to no downtime and response time is excellent. Online stores can stay up at all times and load quickly. Those two features ensure not only user satisfaction but also better Google rankings which may result in more sales.
Bluehost is one of the best options for Magento hosting - it has scalability options, the control panel is intuitive and very powerful, and there are one-click installs for the platform. It's both easy to use and powerful enough to host big online stores.
- Powerful hosting for Magento
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Excellent customer support
- Only advanced users will be able to take advantage of all features
2. HostGator - Cheap and User-Friendly Magento Host
You probably have heard about HostGator before. It's one of the biggest hosting providers with strong customer support and affordable plans. It is also one of a few providers that trust its shared hosting platforms to handle Magento.
This makes HostGator easy to use and very affordable. But there's something more.
HostGator has invested in wind energy to help offset server emissions and it uses renewable energy. This way, you won't be hurting our planet even with the most technically demanding plan.
So, HostGator has one of the greatest balance between price and features when it comes to Magento hosting. It allows to start selling without spending buckets of cash.
HostGator Magento Hosting Pricing and Features
HostGator recommends its 3 shared hosting plans to start a Magento store. The Hatchling costs $3.95/mo, the Baby plan is $5.95/mo, and the Business plan costs $5.95/mo.
All of the plans are equipped with free domain names, SSL certificates, unmetered storage as well as bandwidth. It also includes email marketing features - great for getting the store to be popular.
The most expensive, Business plan, will also include free dedicated IP and Positive SSL for better security. HostGator recommends this plan exactly because of these features and dedicated phone support that can help you install Magento and solve technical issues.
Use the coupon code HOSTINGREVIEW and save up to 61.5% on shared hosting!
HostGator shared hosting plans support up to Magento 2 while newer versions are available with VPS packages. It also provides an auto-installer for Magento, so the process should be as easy as a click of a button. Even better - everything is managed through cPanel which is intuitive and professional.
And once your site grows, HostGator will gladly move to VPS or dedicated platform for the optimal performance.
HostGator proves itself as an affordable and user-oriented provider for Magento stores. It is a professional, easy to use, and fast provider that offers one of the cheapest ways to begin selling online using Magento.
- Cheap Magento hosting
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Options to scale
- Will work only with small stores
- Scalability can be expensive
3. Hostinger - Managed Cloud for Magento Stores
Hostinger recommends its Cloud hosting for Magento online stores - a managed platform designed for speed and reliability. However, the provider has options ranging from shared to VPS hosting so it's possible to start small and scale as needed.
But one thing that all the packages have in common is affordable pricing.
No matter which option you choose, the price will not just be competitive - it will be some of the lowest in the industry.
For example, shared hosting starts at just $0.72/mo if you use our special coupon code HOSTINGREVIEW.
I personally don't know any cheaper host. Unfortunately, the cheapest package won't be able to handle a store with more than a couple of products. So you might need to look at the more advanced plans Hostinger recommends.
The packages also come with intuitive custom control panels, super quick customer support, and exceptional server speed. So let's see how do the Hostinger's recommended Cloud packages look like.
Hostinger Magento Hosting Pricing and Features
Hostinger's Cloud hosting for Magento starts with Cloud Startup for $7.45/mo with 40GB of disk space, 3GB RAM, 2 CPUs, and unlimited bandwidth. There are two options to scale - Cloud Professional for $14.95/mo and Cloud Enterprise for $27.45/mo. It's possible to get up to 160GB disk space, 12GB RAM, and 6CPUs.
It is very cheap considering that the premium Magento platform would cost more than $22k per year and Hostinger's cloud is $321.84 for 4 years if you apply the extra 10% discount.
The features list is also pretty impressive with Hostinger:
- All of the plans include a domain name, SSL certificate, and dedicated IPs that are essential to all online stores.
- Cloudflare protection and CDN are also included for an extra layer of protection and speed.
- Daily backups ensure you have a copy of a perfectly functioning site in case you lose data, database breaks, etc.
- It is possible to choose from 7 server locations in the US, UK, Europe, Asia, and South America to ensure the fastest speed for your target audience.
- Integrated caching is available for boosting the website speed for the returning customers.
- The custom-made control panel is intuitive and equipped with 1-click installer scripts - Magento included.
As you can see, Hostinger is more than equipped to host Magento stores - starting with the generous resource limits and finishing with dozens of features to boost speed and ensure security.
Hostinger is one of the cheapest providers recommending Cloud hosting for Magento online stores. It includes all the essential and premium features to start, scale, and manage big online stores - make them fast and powerful.
- Affordable Cloud hosting plans
- Fast and reliable servers
- Intuitive and easy to use
- No phone support
4. A2 Hosting - Hosting with Premium Performance Features
A2 Hosting claims to be the fastest, easiest, and most reliable to host Magento stores. Including dozens of security, speed, and reliability features, it might as well prove the previous statements to be true.
Located in Michigan and with data centers in Arizona, Amsterdam, and Singapore, A2 has been hosting websites since 2001 and made its mark as a solid hosting provider.
One more advantage of A2 Hosting - it has specific optimizations for multiple platforms like WordPress or PrestaShop. It doesn't pass Magento, so the users should be able to record much better website performance when compared to regular hosts.
Also, the provider makes it affordable to start and easy to scale, thanks to smart Magento plans.
A2 Hosting Magento Pricing and Features
A2 Hosting recommends 2 completely different hosting packages for its users - the Turbo plan for $6.27/mo and Managed VPS hosting which starts at $25/mo.
The Turbo plan is the most advanced shared hosting option A2 Hosting has. It's designed for beginners as an affordable and easy to use solution to get started with a Magento online store.
It includes unlimited storage, bandwidth and email accounts as well as an SSL certificate, Turbo server optimizations, Magento-optimized hosting, and much more. Still, it's only a good solution for a small online store.
The Managed VPS is designed to start a big online store. Storage starts at 75GB while bandwidth is from 2GB. SSL is included and special optimizations like Turbo and A2 Site Accelerator are available.
The best option if you're just getting started would be choosing the Turbo plan which is very much advanced and upgrading to VPS hosting when needed. A2 Hosting will ensure it's easy to manage both of the services:
- cPanel with auto-installer for Magento is included - there's no need to go through a lengthy process of installing it yourself.
- Free site migration is available whether you are transferring to A2 or switching to another platform in the provider's environment.
- Datacenter location choice allows you to place the server closest to the audience for better performance.
- LiteMage is included - a premium cache for Magento to boost website speed for the returning customers.
- Customer support is working 24/7 and it tends to be fast and helpful.
That is tons of great features that all will work to ensure the smooth management of your online store and its fast performance.
A2 Hosting is one of the best Magento hosting providers. It has specific optimizations for the platform, easy to use control panel, and pricing options for both beginners and enterprises.
- Affordable and advanced options
- Many premium features
- Optimizations for Magento
- VPS is rather expensive
5. InMotion - Premium Hosting for Magento Stores
InMotion is definitely one of the premium Magento hosting providers. It doesn't even bother to offer one of its powerful shared hosting plans and heads straight to the VPS department which is fully designed and optimized for online stores.
The price point and hardware resources make it more business or advanced user-orientated hosting. Fortunately, all the features and optimizations justify the higher price point.
InMotion Magento Hosting Pricing and Features
InMotion has 3 VPS plans for Magento hosting that start at $17.99 per month. All of the plans are equipped with SSL certificates, email accounts, and dedicated IPs.
- VPS 1000HA-S costs $17.99/mo and includes 4GB RAM, 4TB bandwidth, 75GB disk space, and 3 dedicated IPs.
- VPS 2000HA-S costs $29.99/mo with 6GB RAM, 5TB bandwidth, 150GB disk space, and 4 dedicated IPs.
- VPS 3000HA-S costs for $49.99/mo is equipped with 8GB RAM, 6TB bandwidth, 260GB disk space, and 5 dedicated IPs.
All of the plans are managed through cPanel which makes it easy and intuitive. Unfortunately, the default cPanel does not include auto-installer scripts so you might need to install Magento manually or purchase Softaculous 1-click installer for $5/mo.
Other than that, InMotion is well equipped for Magento.
Automated data backups are performed regularly ensuring security. It's also possible to choose the server location from 2 data centers in the US.
Server optimization for PHP on which Magento is built is also available. It will increase the performance without using up more resources.
2 hours of dedicated support are included too to help launch, transfer, configure the server, add security, and much more.
Although more expensive, InMotion proves to be a premium service for Magento online stores. It features optimizations for the platform, professional control panel, dedicated support, and other valuable VPS hosting features.
- High-performance hosting
- Dedicated support time
- Optimizations for Magento
- More expensive plans
- One-click installs are paid
6. DreamHost - Reliable Server Performance for eCommerce
DreamHost is a reliable hosting provider focusing on business users that need high reliability. Online store owners are a great example - 100% uptime guarantee ensures that your business is up and running 24/7 as even the smallest downtime can cost a lot.
In fact, we calculated the exact amount that website downtime costs to the largest businesses. For example, Amazon loses over 1 million dollars every minute it's down.
So DreamHost works to ensure you don't lose anything. That is why it has a no-downtime policy and strictly recommends to use VPS or dedicated hosting for Magento. And it won't be that expensive with DreamHost too.
DreamHost Magento Plans and Features
DreamHost doesn't have plans designed for Magento specifically but it doesn't prevent it from climbing up this list. The VPS plans it offers are well equipped to handle the eCommerce platform.
The provider has 4 VPS plans to scale with the pricing ranging from $10 to $80 per month. Each is equipped with free SSL, unlimited bandwidth, and email accounts.
- VPS Basic costs $10/mo and includes 1GB RAM and 30GB storage.
- VPS Business costs $20/mo and is equipped with 2GB RAM and 60GB storage.
- VPS Professional costs $40/mo and includes 4GB RAM and 120GB storage.
- VPS Enterprise costs $80/mo and is equipped with 8GB RAM and 240GB storage.
Unfortunately, DreamHost does not have an auto-installer for Magento, but its 24/7 customer support can help you do that manually.
The excellent reliability and top-level performance make the extra hassle worth it to use DreamHost for Magento. It is affordable, highly scalable, and offers advanced features to power online stores.
DreamHost makes it to this list as an affordable and very reliable VPS hosting solution. It works to ensure 100% uptime, and while is not the easiest to use, the performance makes it great for Magento.
- 100% uptime guarantee
- Affordable VPS plans
- No one-click install for Magento
Best Magento Hosting Providers - the Verdict
Various different providers made it to this list - shared, Cloud, and VPS options are all available. In the end, it will all depend on the size of your store and the traffic it gets to determine which provider can support it the best.
So here's a short summary of the best Magento hosting options:
- Bluehost works to make Magento hosting easy, affordable, and powerful. It offers feature-rich VPS plans to power online stores of various sizes.
- HostGator is the only provider that trusts its shared hosting platform to host Magento stores. This keeps the pricing low but without switching to VPS or dedicated servers, you won't be able to have a big and popular store.
- Hostinger is a scalable and very affordable provider that recommends its Cloud platform for Magento stores.
- A2 Hosting focuses on speed and configurations to host Magento stores. It offers both affordable shared and scalable VPS packages for the purpose.
- InMotion is a premium VPS option for Magento hosting with dedicated support time and software optimizations for online stores.
- DreamHost is one of the most reliable providers on the list that requires some development knowledge to get started but rewards the hassle with excellent performance.
Choose a provider for your online business and share your experiences in the comment section down below!