VPS hosting is perfect for growing small businesses.
When you feel the need for more speed and resources it's an alarming sign that it might be a good time to switch your website hosting to VPS.
On the other hand, you may want to start with the VPS provider from the beginning of your project as it's a powerful option for any website, providing amazing page loading times.
But what is the best VPS hosting provider out there?
After several months of testing and comparing, I managed to boil down the list to just the top 5. All of these VPS hosting companies here offer different - but great - VPS hosting for people who are serious about their projects.
These, in my opinion, are the best VPS hosting providers out there:
- DreamHost (perfect WordPress VPS)
- InMotion Hosting (combo of high quality and good value VPS hosting)
- Hostwinds (inexpensive VPS with free dedicated IP)
- Liquid Web (premium VPS, made for enterprises)
- FastComet (VPS provider perfect for reaching global audiences)
Price from: $13.75/month yearly
Recommended for: Excellent WordPress optimization and support
Their VPS hosting plans are fully managed by the company's experts - so you don't have to do anything but enjoy the performance. And it will be great, with SSD disks and a free trial of MySQL VPS add-on, which puts your database into DreamHost's servers for the best load times.
Worried that the entry plan will be not enough? Not to worry, as scaling to a different plan takes a mere few minutes.
And the best part about everything here?
DreamHost is one of the very few hosting providers recommended by WordPress itself. So if you're looking for the best WordPress VPS, this is definitely a way to go.
DreamHost VPS Pros
- Expandable RAM and storage
- Unlimited bandwidth and traffic
- Dedicated server resources
- Managed performance, updates, and security
- Free premium SSL certificate
- Unlimited emails and domains
DreamHost VPS Cons
- No phone support
- No cPanel (only custom made which is less intuitive)
Price from: $14.99/month yearly
Recommended for: Advanced customization options
InMotion hosting has been around for over 15 years and offers a wide range of web hosting services, from VPS, reseller, and WordPress hosting to shared and dedicated servers.
This US-based company is compatible with Linux operating systems and is perhaps one of the best all-around VPS solutions.
With so much experience on the field, there's no surprise to see InMotion offer a lot of great VPS features. Combined together, these things allow InMotion to offer a service that is quick, reliable, and perfect for more experienced VPS users.
Regular promo prices start at $29.19 - although, if you use our link, the pricing will go down to $24.99. With a little help from us they're pretty good value as well.
Inmotion VPS Pros
- Resource monitoring dashboard
- Free SSL enabled in cPanel
- Unlimited secure email accounts
- CentOs with LAMP stack
- Free backups and cPanel
- Optimized for eCommerce
- Unlocked CPU cores
InMotion VPS Cons
- Promoted package pricing is only with a 2-year term
- Automatical billing for the equal term length
- Free automated data backups available only if an account doesn't exceed 10GB in size
Price from: $4.49/month
Recommended for: State-of-art hardware
Launched in 2010 by 20-year-old Peter Holden who had the dream of achieving a powerful infrastructure, cost-effective prices, and a responsive support team, Hostwinds is a fast-growing web hosting company that has managed to accomplish all three goals.
Hostwinds offers enterprise-level hosting solutions with good price tags - it's a perfect option if you're somewhat on a budget and want the best value for money.
The company offers 10 configurations for managed Linux server partitions and an additional 10 plans each for both managed and unmanaged Windows VPS. However, in each of the plans, you'll be given a dedicated IP and root access - bargains at such a low price point.
Speaking of the bargains, one of my favorite ones is how inexpensive it is to move to a managed VPS platform. Starting price for managed VPS is only 68 cents a month bigger than the one of unmanaged VPS. That's the price of 24/7 support and management - it's absolutely worth it.
Worth mentioning is that Hostwinds have a different approach to the pricing. With the promoted price you can choose whatever term you want - may it be 1 month or 10 years, it's on you. But after that term, you'll be hit with the renewal price.
HostWinds VPS Pros
- Free dedicated IP with all plans
- Dedicated amount of resources
- Choice of managed or unmanaged Linux/Windows
- 1Gbps ports
- Fast SSD drives
- Free website migration
- Servers in multiple locations
InMotion VPS Cons
- No free automated backups
- Pricing may appear confusing
4. Liquid Web
Price from: $49.00/month yearly (self-managed)
Recommended for: Great overall performance
With its inception in 1997, Liquid Web has become one of the top companies for VPS, dedicated server, and managed cloud hosting services.
Liquid Web is big on creating solutions to the businesses. Which means that it has plans specifically suited for many types of users: freelancers, enterprises, agencies, application creators and so much more.
Experts in the niches will do their best to help those solutions as great as possible. And it's not all empty promises. Liquid Web is well-known in the industry for providing top-notch customer service and brilliant performance.
Liquid Web Hosting is perhaps the best VPS solution for big projects requiring best of the best - and always looking to scale and become even bigger.
Liquid VPS Pros
- Gigabit transfer speed
- Unlimited sites
- Dedicated IP address with all VPS plans
- Integrated firewall and free basic DDoS Attack Protection
- Panel/WHM or Plesk Onyx Available
- Free CloudFlare CDN
- Built-in local backups
Liquid VPS Cons
- Different pricing for different locations
- Bandwidth used above the quota will be charged $0.15/GB
Price from: $59.95/month yearly
Recommended for: stability and reliabilityHeadquartered in San Francisco, FastComet is a web hosting company with a diverse customer base supported by their eight server locations in major cities around the globe.
Chicago, Dallas, and Newark complete the US server lineup - there are also European centers in London, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam, as well as Asian centers in Tokyo and Singapore. With FastComet, you can reach your users quickly - wherever in the world they may be.
Of course, location isn't everything, technologies used are equally as important. But FastComet has no issues here, offering nothing but the high-speed SSD drives. Add that to full server management offered by the brilliant customer support agents, and you get a full picture.
This is the best VPS for people looking to reach worldwide audiences, and not planning to focus on extensive server management themselves. If you're one of them, FastComet is a great pick.
FastComet VPS Pros
- Fully managed SSD servers
- Automated daily and weekly backups, and full data snapshots
- Completely scalable servers on demand
- Free Web and CSF Firewall
- Choice of data center location
FastComet VPS Cons
- Free setup only with a 3-month plan (additional $19.95 if billed monthly)
- The longest term for ordering a plan is only 3-months
Choosing the best VPS for you
There are plenty of VPS providers out there - and even more plans to choose from. How can you choose the best VPS out there when there's so much of everything?
Well, these are the main features form each VPS provider that will help you pick the most suitable for you:
- DreamHost is best for those who want a full package - great WP optimization, SSD, SSL, unlimited bandwidth and traffic
- InMotion Hosting is great for those who want advanced customization options and high quality for a good value
- Hostwinds gives away dedicated IP with any plan and has really flexible pricing options
- Liquid Web is best for enterprises which are looking for brilliant performance
- FastComet offers stable and reliable VPS that is great for reaching global audiences
While there isn’t quite a one-size-fits-all web hosting solution, some providers and plans are simply better than others.
If you have a fast-growing website that requires top-notch performance and security, then it’s time to up your resources by upgrading to VPS hosting. Sure, it may cost more than a shared plan, but it’s well worth the buck. Because with good servers, you can properly grow your business.
Although, if you don't feel like paying anything for top VPS hosting, we strongly recommend reading our article about the Best Free VPS and possibly we'll change your mind!