Choosing the right hosting option and provider is crucial for your online project to be successful. And while Linux hosting is a leader, Windows hosting might be your choice.
With Windows hosting, you have more control over data storage and corporate networks. Basically, it’s designed so many people could share the same services.
And while it does not limit you to use only Microsoft services, it gives the possibility to use NET, ASP, MSSQL, and other technologies designed specifically for Windows servers. You won't get these with Linux.
But for it to work right, choosing a reliable host is important. Here’s the list of the best Windows hosting providers out there:
- Hostwinds (premium Windows Server 2016 option)
- 1&1 IONOS (affordable and very fast hosting)
- GoDaddy (best choice of Windows hosting plans)
- HostGator (trusted Windows hosting veteran)
- ResellerClub (best value Windows hosting)
Windows VPS for even the biggest of projects
Price from: $7.99/month
With a focus on bigger online enterprises, Hostwinds allows you to freely choose between managed and unmanaged options of your hosting.
This way, the less experienced users get all the necessary help, and more experienced ones get full freedom to do things their way. And what's even better - the plans can be upgraded up to a whopping 96 GB of RAM and 9 TB of monthly bandwidth, meaning you can stay with one hosting provider as your project grows.
Both VPS and dedicated hosting plans are basically limitless allowing you to build an online project of your dreams.
Hostwinds Windows VPS hosting features and pricing
Hostwinds offer 4 managed and 4 unmanaged VPS hosting plans. All of them include:
- The latest version of Windows Server
- 1 GBPS ports
- Custom ISO’s
- DDoS protection
- Multiple server locations
Cheapest managed VPS plan costs $7.99 a month and provides you with 1CPU core, 30GB disk space, and 1TB / Gbps port. The most expensive option starts at $26.79/month, giving you 2CPU cores, 100GB disk space, and 2TB / Gbps ports.
Features for unmanaged plans are the same. However, the cheapest unmanaged VPS plan starts at $9.89/month and the most expensive will cost you $31.47/month.
As for the dedicated hosting, you can customize everything - server, OS, number of IP addresses, storage space, etc. The cheapest option currently available will cost you $98.25/month.
- Full-time system monitoring
- Managed and unmanaged VPS Windows hosting
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Flexible Windows hosting options
- Nightly backups
- Might appear complicated for beginners
2. 1&1 IONOS
Windows hosting for worldwide websites
Price from: $1/month
This means that data is replicated in various locations. This way, not only the page speed is improved for visitors worldwide, but also the data stays safe should there be a massive problem in one of the servers.
All of that is available with each of IONOS Windows hosting plans.
Pricing for IONOS windows hosting start at $1/month ($8/month after the first year) for Business plan. Pro plan costs $1/month ($10 after the first 6 months) and the Expert plan costs $1/month and going up to 14/month after the first 6 months.
All of the plans include:
- SSL wildcard certificates
- Unlimited traffic
- ASP.NET 4.7 and .NET Core 2.0
- 1 free domain for a year
- 25 to 500 MS SQL databases
- 24/7 Support
In case that’s just not good enough for you, IONOS offers VPS and dedicated servers. Using Windows will cost you extra $10 to $35 a month.
Its first-month low price makes it a nice trial period to see if their lower level plans are enough. If not, you can upgrade with ease.
- Affordable and scalable Windows hosting
- 24/7 phone and email support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- SiteLock protection and SSL encryption
- Shared, Dedicated and VPS Windows plans
- Prices increase after 6 or 12 months
- Shared hosting plans have limited processing capabilities
The biggest choice of Windows hosting plans
Price from: $2.99/month
GoDaddy is an expert in the hosting world. And if you're not, and wish to become one, GoDaddy has a 24/7 customer support line, ready to help you via phone, or live chat. But it doesn't mean that this hosting provider is for newbies only.
There are plenty of plans for all sorts of Windows hosting users - going from budget shared hosting, to super advanced dedicated servers.
Here's what they are and what can they offer you.
GoDaddy shared Windows hosting features and pricing
Shared GoDaddy Windows hosting plans are best for websites that are just starting out and don’t have high levels of traffic or advanced server management options. You can always scale up, so shared hosting is an economical option to start with.
Each of GoDaddy shared Windows plans include:
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- 24/7 security monitoring and DDoS protection
- 50+ free apps
- Odin Plesk control panel
- Free domain with an annual plan
GoDaddy shared Windows hosting prices start at $2.99/month ($7.99/month after renewal) for the Economy plan. You get 1 MSSQL (200MB) and 10 MySQL (1GB each) databases, 100GB storage and can host 1 website.
If you need more, The Unlimited plan for $5.99/month ($16.99/month after renewal) will provide you with unlimited databases and free SSL certificate for a year.
GoDaddy VPS Windows hosting features and pricing
VPS hosting is a bigger, more advanced option. It’s the best option for both those with small- to medium-sized websites and those owning high-scale websites.
Each of GoDaddy VPS Windows hosting plans includes:
- Intel E5-2620v3
- Dedicated IPs
- Unlimited bandwidth
- A free 1-year SSL certificate
- Odin Plesk control panel
For Windows VPS hosting, GoDaddy has 4 plans, cheapest one, Economy, starts at $29.99/month.
It will provide you with 2GB memory and 40GB storage. Other plans are not significantly different, though you'll get more memory and storage space.
GoDaddy dedicated Windows hosting features and pricing
Dedicated hosting works for those owning large websites or keeping numerous of separate websites under one hood. It provides the highest level of security and control as well.
Each of the GoDaddy dedicated plans includes:
- Xeon E3-1220-v3 processor
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 4 CPU Cores @ 3.1GHz
- 3 Dedicated IPs
- Odin Plesk control panel
There are 4 plans for GoDaddy dedicated Windows hosting. The Economy plan starts at $119.99/month giving you 4GB memory and 1TB storage.
More expensive plans will increase memory and storage space for your website.
- One-click install for over 50 apps
- 24/7 support and security monitoring
- Free professional email for the 1st year
- Free domain with a yearly plan
- Technical support is limited to phone only
- Lowest prices only with the three-year term
One of the biggest names in Windows web hosting
Price from: $4.76/month
Flexibility is probably the strongest Hostgator suits. There's VPS, dedicated, shared, cloud, reseller, and Windows hosting, and also plus domain names.
Overall, this makes HostGator a perfect one-stop-shop for all things hosting, suitable for all kinds of users.
HostGator offers two types of Windows shared hosting plans: Personal starts at $4.76 a month for individuals and Enterprise starts at $14.36 a month for businesses.
With both of the plans, you get unlimited disk space and bandwidth. So if you are looking to host only one website, the Personal plan will be more than enough. However, the Enterprise plan will allow you to have 5 domains and dedicated IP address.
But if that’s not enough, you can easily switch to dedicated Windows hosting. It will include:
- Free DDoS protection
- Unlimited databases
- Full root access
Dedicated Windows hosting prices start at $119.00/month for a Value server.
It will get you 4 Core / 8 Thread Intel Xeon-D CPU server with 1TB HDD disk.
The HostGator-recommended Power plan for $139.00/month will upgrade you to 8 Core / 16 Thread server and you’ll be able to select a 512 GB SSD disk instead of HDD one.
The most expensive, Enterprise plan starts at $149.00/month. It will provide you with 30GB RAM and 1TB SSD.
HostGator keeps its server OS up to date. Both dedicated and shared servers run on Windows 2016.
- Unmetered storage and bandwidth
- 24/7 client support via phone and live chat
- Install apps with one-click via Plesk panel
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- No Windows-based VPS hosting
- Long-term commitment if you want a discount
Fast and affordable Windows hosting
Price from: $3.49/month
For a low price of just $3.49, ResellerClub aims to offer regular users absolutely everything they'd need from a Windows hosting plan.
Unmetered disk space, bandwidth, and email accounts eliminate the nagging limitations, often found in other budget hosting plans.
You can also choose from 3 worldwide server locations - the US, the United Kingdom, and India.
However, the UK server will cost you just a little bit more - but that's a common practice due to server fees in the country.
Here's how much all available plans cost (with US server location):
And the servers are actually really fast - response times of around 200-300ms are well above the industry average. These are the very same speedy servers we've reviewed previously in our ResellerClub review - so it makes sense.
Overall, all things considered, the plans ResellerClub offers are a good value for money. Here's what all of the plans include:
- Unlimited storage and transfer
- Free SSL certificate
- Plesk Onyx panel
- Security protection, with antivirus included
- Good hosting prices, that don't increase on renewal
- Above average server performance
- Decent hosting security protection with 24/7 monitoring
- Windows Server 2016 is not available.
What is the best Windows hosting for you?
All five providers right here will give you plenty of Windows hosting plans and options. However, for certain goals and certain users, there are different winners.
So if you can't choose, let's have a look through all of these providers one more time and draw a final conclusion.
- Hostwinds is a great Windows hosting option for more advanced users.
- 1&1 IONOS is great for businesses, who wish for worldwide performance, without a huge initial investment.
- GoDaddy is a solid Windows hosting option for most users - but will especially appeal to beginners.
- HostGator is a good one-stop-shop for all things Windows hosting.
- ResellerClub is a great value Windows hosting option.
Do you think that I missed something? Share your thoughts down below!