2019 October 2nd
Homestead is a company providing website building services since 1996. The company has been a favorite brand in the industry until recently when its glory appears to have been overshadowed by newer, more innovative competitors.
Let's take a look at how this provider stands in the competition today. This Homestead review will cover pricing, features, and performance. Perhaps this builder can be a great option for your new website?
What is Homestead?
Homestead offers web services that help customers to start, maintain, and promote their online presence. It is, however, known more as a site builder than a hosting provider.
Homestead offers these website building packages to their clients:
- Website creation
- Website hosting (included in the plan)
- Online SimpleStore
- Domain registration
- Advertising services
Obviously, this company has a goal to be all in one provider for businesses. Start a fully equipped web store and grow it with the help of advertising consultants. But are these services actually reliable?
Homestead has gone through a lot of reformation and transformation to remain relevant in the web industry. For instance, in 2007, Intuit acquired Homestead and just about 5 years after, Homestead was sold to Endurance International Group (EIG).
Did this transformation help to improve Homestead services? Let's move this Homestead review to an overview of the packages and what's included in them.
Homestead offers 3 plans with prices starting at $7.99/mo and going as high as $62.99/mo for Business Plus package. And you can try any of the plans for free - the first 30 days count as a trial.
Although to register for the free trial, you'll have to provide your card info. So if you decide not to continue using it - don't forget to cancel the services.
As mentioned before, Homestead isn't only a website builder - you get the hosting services with it. And here is an overview of the packages:
- Starter Plan: this plan covers website creation and hosting. The price is $7.99/mo, and it includes 25 MB storage, 5 GB bandwidth, 5 web pages, and 1 site.
- Business Plan: this plan covers website creation and hosting, domain name, and Email. The price is $22.99/mo, and it includes 5 GB storage, 100 GB bandwidth, a domain name, 5 email boxes, 100 web pages, and 3 sites.
- Business plus Plan: this plan covers website creation and hosting, domain names, Email, and web listings. The price is $62.99/month, and it includes 10 GB storage, 500 GB bandwidth, 3 domain names, 50 Email boxes, approximate unlimited web pages, and approximate unlimited sites.
Obviously, the prices are not the lowest in the market. You can find providers offering better features for less money - just browse through other great website builders.
Aside from the 30-day free trial, the prices are enough reasons for a potential customer to go for some other website creation providers whose packages are a lot less expensive.
In the table below, you can see the pricing for each billing cycle.
|Payment Period||Starter Plan||Business Plan||Business Plus Plan|
There are three possible terms but the monthly value stays the same. Homestead doesn't offer discounts for long term subscribers. Overall, this pricing scheme seems too high for whatever features Homestead is charging customers.
But let's take a look at those features for Homestead web hosting plans.
|Disk space||25 MB||5 GB||10 GB|
|Bandwidth limit||5 GB||100 GB||500 GB|
|Domains allowed||No free domain name||1 free domain name||3 free domain names|
|Number of pages||5||100||Unlimited|
|Number of sites||1||3||Unlimited|
|Customer Support||Toll-free Phone support & Community Support|
The first thing that catches the eye, is the 25MB disk space for the Starter plan.
What is that?
An HTML page with your two favorite pictures? Knowing that the installation of WordPress itself takes from 500MB to 1 GB you might find this plan rather unusable. Perhaps for learning HTML. But in that case, the pricing is way too high.
Moving on. Let's look at the bright side. All plans have Anti-DDoS included for your site security, and also you get the cPanel for administration. As for tracking your business, there are website statistics, and with the Business Plus, you get the WebListings to make your site more visible.
But there are missing pieces. Homestead plans don't have SSL certificate included and of course, no automated backups. For a professional website, you want customers to see it as a secure page. And the lack of backups can result in very unfortunate data loses.
As for the website builder, you get more than 100 customizable templates with 1.1 mln free images. But I cannot say that those would be treasure findings...
All the templates are terribly outdated and the customization doesn't go further than changing the colors and fonts.
Homestead is proud to announce you can add Youtube videos and photo albums, link to facebook, create custom menus and forms, or add maps. But these are the most basic features you can find.
Overall, the plans don't have much to offer, especially when we look at the prices. But to get a thorough Homestead review, we have to check the performance as well.
Homestead servers work pretty fast. It takes the server less than 300 ms to load virtually in all the continents except in some parts of Asia.
However, the only location in the US only. So the best results are around that region only.
Anyway, such good response speed seems like a great achievement for this ancient web service provider.
On the other hand, Homestead is silent about the server uptime guarantee - another essential performance feature to consider when choosing a hosting provider.
This Homestead review shows that the hosting provider still provides some excellent features with its hosting plans. These include:
- Good server speed - Homestead’s server speed is really quick. This is a huge advantage that will make your site accessible without delay.
- A 30-day free trial - another great advantage is the 30-day free trial. This way you can comfortably try out the services for before actually paying for it.
This Homestead review also shows the striking disadvantages of the services provided. These include:
- Poor storage capacity - this feature is a visible eyesore. None of the hosting plans provided by Homestead offers more than 10 GB storage space. I think the hosting provider is already planning to go into oblivion with this feature.
- Extremely low bandwidth - where other hosting providers are busy upgrading their monthly bandwidth to unlimited, Homestead is still here offering 500 GB/mo as the highest bandwidth for its most advanced hosting plan.
- Expensive price - Homestead charges high prices for relatively useless plans. Suppose the hosting provider charges high prices for valuable packages that have innovative features, it would have been better and understandable. But not at all, the services are the same oldies!
- Poor support system - you can reach support only by phone and that has limited working hours (Mon-Fri 6:00 am - 5:00 pm MST). That's almost unbelievable, as other hosting providers have more than 3 viable channels accessible 24/7. Support should be ready to help you out whenever issues occur!
Homestead Review - Should You Go Near it?
Sincerely, Homestead appears to be an old web service provider that has outlived its best days. Incredibly limited disk space and bandwidth, outdated website designs, almost non-existent customer support - every feature here is questionable. And it is also very expensive!
You should never go near Homestead if you are in search of a website builder with hosting that can support your growing business as well as your high-performance sites. However, if you really want to try it out, you can go for Homestead’s 30-day free trial.
Check out reviews on other hosting providers that provide quality features at affordable prices - you will definitely find something way more suitable for your website.
- 30-day Trial
- Good server speed
- Very limited storage capacity
- Low bandwidth
- Poor customer support