5 Best Shopify Alternatives For An Amazing Online Store
2019 August 7th at 3:19
Shopify is a great option for businesses, looking to sell online. However, it is not perfect for everyone - and chances are, you're looking for something that's at least a little bit different.
Luckily, there are plenty of alternatives, that you can choose from.
They different than Shopify - offering varying features, pricing, or website building solutions. And in this post, I'll be talking about the 5 most interesting ones out there.
Here are our best Shopify alternatives for your online store:
- Wix (complete design freedom)
- BigCommerce (closest Shopify alternative)
- Squarespace (best Shopify alternative for stunning designs)
- WooCommerce (free, open-source, made for WordPress)
- BigCartel (Shopify alternative for artists)
All eCommerce essentials in a user-friendly website builder platform
Wix is the most used website builder around that also happens to include full eCommerce functionality with its business plans.
Being a website builder, Wix is user-friendly and fully customizable - even complete beginners can launch a professional-looking website with Wix.
Also, if you choose the Business Basic or Business Unlimited plans for a year, you'll be able to save a couple of dollars when compared to Shopify.
Wix pricing for eCommerce starts at $23/month and can be upgraded to the Business VIP plan for $49/mo. There's also the Enterprise plan for $500/mo if you launch something even bigger. However, the Business Unlimited will fit every small business website that aims to grow.
With all of the plans, you get unlimited bandwidth and enough storage space for thousands of products and media files.
You'll be able to use several different payment gateways and shipping providers. There's also a possibility to integrate a POS, so you can even sell in-person.
Wix has one downside though - no matter how beautiful your website comes out, you'll be bound to Wix. It does not offer a possibility to migrate your website elsewhere.
- 100s of customizable templates
- Intuitive website builder
- Affordable eCommerce pricing
- No possibility to switch platforms
- Expensive renewals
Best Shopify alternative for growing business
BigCommerce is one of the closest Shopify competitors offering a hosted eCommerce platform.
Although lately BigCommerce was focusing more on its BIG customers, there are still plans that will fit small and growing businesses.
BigCommerce pricing is very similar to Shopify, with the plans starting at $29.95/month and upgradable to the Pro plan for $249.95/month. However, even with the cheapest plan, you'll get unlimited staff accounts - unlike with Shopify, where you are limited with all of the plans.
BigCommerce also has an enterprise solution - though you'll need to contact the company to know the details.
There's one more similarity that BigCommerce has with Shopify - it only has around 80 templates of which 11 are free.
The website building process is also similar - storefront editor allows easy design customization to make your online store more custom. You'll be able to tweak or write custom CSS and HTML. So the flexibility is all there.
- Easy to use storefront editor
- Powerfull eCommerce tools
- Scalable for growing business
- Lacks of more free templates
- Not the cheapest option on the list
Stunning website templates and functional eCommerce tools
If you're thinking of using your website not only to sell online, but also as a portfolio, and blogging platform - Squarespace is one of the best website builders to choose.
Despite beginning as a non-commerce oriented platform, it's successfully managed to sneak into the world of online commerce. The eCommerce-capable plans, starting at $18 a month, include features such as:
- No restrictions on how many items you can sell
- The ability to sell both physical and digital wares
- Customer tracking facilitated using a post-checkout marketing pixel
- Easy integration of customer-drawing techniques such as coupons and sales codes
The cheapest Squarespace eCommerce-capable plan costs $18/mo though you'll have to pay 3% transaction fees. If you want to avoid that - you can choose Basic Business or Advanced Business plans for $26 and $40 per month accordingly.
One glaring limitation of this other-wise ideal platform is the fact that they only accept payment processing through Paypal or Stripe. However, if that's enough for you - and you're looking for something easy to use and manage, Squarespace is a legitimately great option.
- Beautiful templates
- Blogging features included
- Very easy to use
- Limited payment processing options
- Not fully centered on eCommerce
Flexible and cheap Shopify alternative
WooCommerce is a WordPress-powered Shopify alternative, offering massive customizability for more experienced users.
The pricing is really hard to beat, too: that's because WooCommerce is free.
All you need to do is to find some good WooCommerce hosting, set up a WordPress website, install WooCommerce, and you're good to go. From there, you'll be able to adjust your website just the way you want to. It's a much more difficult experience than using a regular website builder. But if you're serious about website development, this is a Shopify alternative worth considering.
- Completely free
- Loads of customization options
- No caps on sales or users
- Difficult to set up
- Requires a hosting account
Good alternative for small online stores
Despite the punchy name, BigCartel is far from a massive platform, and its target demographic is not megalithic corporate powerhouses. Actually, BigCartel aims to be a Shopify alternative for artists and entrepreneurs looking to sell their art to the worldwide audience.
The two main features are very simple - and that's great ease-of-use and very low prices.
As a matter of fact, there's actually even a free plan: so you can start selling online with no initial investment. Of course, you can only sell up to 5 items a month. Premium plans begin at a wallet-friendly $9.99/mo and can range to modest peaks as high as $29.99 a month.
One major sacrifice users are forced to give away is a search function for their inventory. While this may not represent a major inconvenience for retailers selling less than 20 items, for those with bigger inventories, this can make tracking down a particular item harder than digging up a specific cat in a cat hoarder's home.
And yet still, BigCartel is a great option if you're an artist looking to monetize a hobby. Definitely worth a look!
- Very easy to use
- Free plan available
- Very few advanced eCommerce features
- Difficult to navigate through the products
The Best Shopify Alternative - the Verdict
Though Shopify is an excellent platform with many happy users, it's not perfect for everyone. We found 5 excellent Shopify alternatives to match your needs better - in terms of pricing, tools, and features:
- Wix is a great Shopify alternative even for beginner users offering an intuitive website builder with 100s of responsive templates.
- BigCommerce is the closest Shopify alternative offering powerful eCommerce tools for growing online stores.
- Squarespace is best for those looking both powerful eCommerce store, beautiful design features, and blogging platform integration.
- WooCommerce is the best Shopify alternative for those who want limitless customization possibilities for a smaller price.
- BigCartel is a Shopify alternative designed for small entrepreneurs and artists.
So there you have it - these are the top 5 Shopify alternatives in the market right now. Did I miss anything? Or there's something you'd like to share? Let me know in the comments below.