Sites like Wix to Get You Off the Ground
2019 August 16th at 2:17
If you’re like most people, you or your company are probably looking to establish some form of internet presence, which of course, requires a website. However, a custom page could easily set you back thousands of dollars! Making any further changes or updates would still require the help of a developer, costing you even more money in the long run. Sites like Wix have become an incredibly popular alternative to building a custom website in today’s digital age. Creating and editing a website has never been so easy. What would have made for an arduous and costly task has now become a breeze for the tech-savvy and non-tech-savvy alike.
Wix has since become one of the most popular options around. It offers an impressive lineup of features and is even rated as hosting.review’s number one website builder of 2018. Here are some essential features Wix offers:
- Tech support
- Intuitive drag-and-drop editing
- Ease of use!
There are quite a few sites like Wix that have popped up in the past few years. Here are the ones we liked the most:
- Weebly (powerful, great for blogging and eCommerce)
- Squarespace (beautiful templates, amazing for portfolios)
- uKit (very useful for businesses)
Why should you be interested in a website builder?
Website builders have exploded in popularity in recent years due to their ease-of-use. Simply put, a website builder is a program that allows users to build a fully functioning website without the need for any coding or tech knowledge. If you have no time to learn coding and development, such tools could save you a lot of time.
The majority of these builder sites like Wix make use of a software that enables drag-and-drop components that build out the site, which is typically on top of a theme or template. All you have to do is add some customization and you’re set!
Some of the Best Website Builders like Wix
There are plenty of popular and powerful website builders that are highly comparable to Wix. These sites come with a rich set of features that make the website-building process seamless and user-friendly. Let’s take a look at the most popular:
One of the closest alternatives to Wix is Weebly. This universal website builder offers an intuitive editor, a trove of trendy templates to choose from, regular updates, a fresh look, and plenty more that allows users to build many different types of websites.
With Weebly, you can easily build business websites, portfolios, blogs, promo pages, landing pages, and even online stores. It utilizes an in-browser editor based on the what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) and drag-and-drop principles. Weebly also makes it possible to create unique and stunning websites with more advanced functionality. Their powerful customization tools and a vast library of templates give websites an individual look.
Here are some other great features supported by Weebly that make it a popular contender:
- Powerful Blogging—With Weebly, it’s easy to set up a blog that allows scheduling and publishing posts, utilizing social media share options, specifying meta tags to help with SEO, and a commenting system.
- Membership—This advanced membership feature allows you to create users and assign them roles.
- eCommerce Functionality—Weebly allows users to easily launch a fresh and appealing online store. The system comes with an integrated and convenient shopping cart, inventory tracking, secure checkout, product management, a filtered product search, clean eCommerce templates, and more handy tools.
- Marketing tools—Weebly can help your business grow by offering powerful email marketing tools which include professional layouts and templates, email list building features, support tools, and marketing statistics.
Now let’s talk about cost. Weebly has a free version. Instead of ad banners like many other free site builders, there is instead a small Weebly link visible in the footer of your website. There are also paid plans ranging from $8/month to $38/month. Read more about it on our Weebly review.
First impressions of the website builder Squarespace is their fresh, cool, and impeccable look. Their latest version 7 has introduced some excellent new features, including a cover page builder, G Suite, and Getty images, but the most important aspect is their editor’s seamless usability. Users can now edit content live without having to perpetually switch back and forth between preview mode and the site manager.
Squarespace posits themselves as being THE website builder for online stores, blogs, and portfolio sites. So how do they match up to sites like Wix and Weebly? Let’s take a look at their best perks.
- Designs and Templates—Squarespace comes with some excellent-looking templates that are also optimized for mobile devices.
- Blog Service—Their blog services and capabilities are top-notch. This all-in-one platform gives you the power to write, edit, and manage comments from your desktop, phone, or tablet.
- Support—Squarespace comes with great customer support thanks to their live chat feature, allowing almost instant help with your site.
While Squarespace does not currently offer a free plan, they do have a 14-day risk-free trial to test out their product. Their pricing plans range from $12-$18. How do they stack up, we checked in the Squarespace review.
uKit is a great Wix alternative that markets themselves for small businesses. They offer fully responsive templates with professional and clean designs and a system primed for designing promo websites, landing pages, and small business sites. uKit was initially created with the needs of entrepreneurs in mind but has grown to include a wider audience.
With all of the required and core functionality of the most popular website builders on the market, uKit is one of the easiest builders to work with. You can control each step in the web design process with their drag-and-drop editor that is simple and convenient.
- Business-oriented—Since uKit is primed for small businesses, they offer a robust collection of specific templates with dozens of categories.
- eCommerce Functionality—uKit’s advanced eCommerce functionality makes adding and managing a small store on your site simple and easy. You can connect Wallet One or PayPal to your web store as well.
- External Integration—You can also add additional external services to your website, such as Mailchimp widgets, CRM, LiveChat, etc to enhance the website’s performance.
uKit offers four plans ranging from $4/month to $12/month. There are currently no free plans available just yet.
If you are in the market for an easy-to-use, convenient, and affordable website builder, there are simply tons of sites like Wix to choose from, each offering an appealing amalgam of features and functionality. Website builders are an excellent solution for creatives, students, and entrepreneurs which offer intuitive interfaces, a collection of responsive templates to work with, and robust customization tools that will get you on your way in a matter of minutes.