FTP or file transfer protocol has been here for a while now. Just like the name suggests, it's a way of transferring files between the devices that are connected via the internet. In the hosting industry, that's usually the transfer between the user's desktop to the host's server machine.
The security layers to this protocol were added years later so the sensitive files can be transferred without getting stolen.
If no secure protocols are used, files become visible to anyone who puts at least a little bit of effort to see them. That's why it's important to use secure methods of transferring sensitive files.
All hosts should support various FTP methods but some are simply better. That might include different protocols, faster or more secure hosting, and other features.
After years of building, launching, and managing websites, I've used many different providers. So right now, I've tested some of my favorites once again and combined a list of hosts that were better than others in terms of FTP server hosting.
The descriptions contain detailed overviews of the features offered - speed, security, and ease of use. In the tables of each provider, you'll also find the response time and uptime stats displayed live from our monitoring tool.
But before we get into the details, let's take a look into the theory of FTP - what are the main differences and when to use it?
Differences Between FTP, SFTP, and FTPS
Many files travel across the internet at any given moment. If they are not protected, anyone can interrupt and steal sensitive information. That is why FTP and all the security layers are needed.
It is used when transferring files to your hosting account or downloading them.
But at this point, there are several FTP options. The main ones are FTP, FTPS, and SFTP. What are the differences?
- FTP is the original protocol without any security layer. Simply put, it's how computers communicate with one another and communication means the sharing of data. Most of the hosting providers support this service. Any file download like Firefox browser install files or music is done through FTP.
- FTPS is a protocol of data encryption over SSL and is protected by the user ID and/or the password. It uses multiple port numbers making it more difficult to connect through advanced firewalls and can open up security vulnerabilities.
- SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol or Secure File Transfer Protocol) is a more secure version of FTP. It works via Secure Shell to provide varying degrees of file protection. All the data is encrypted and kept that way during the whole process. It is also restricted from 3rd party access. User ID, password, and SSH keys may be required to access the files. As opposed to FTPS, it uses only one port making it more secure.
Usually, you'll need a client (like Filezilla, Cyberduck or other) to connect to the server. From there, you'll see the server's file structure and be able to download or transfer files. Hosting providers allow creating FTP accounts for multiple users with different user IDs for identification.
So when downloading data from your site or uploading files - using FTP is an effective way to protect yourself from hackers.
Let's see what are the providers that help do just that:
Best FTP Server Hosting Providers
I picked the providers that provide not just great FTP hosting service but also the ones that are affordable, easy to use, and have exceptional server performance.
Here are the 5 best FTP server providers:
- Hostinger (cheap and fast FTP hosting)
- HostGator (beginner-friendly FTP hosting)
- A2 Hosting (business-grade FTP server hosting)
- InterServer (best long-term FTP option)
- DreamHost (reliable hosting for WordPress)
1. Hostinger - Best FTP Hosting for Budget Users
Budget users in search of a cheap, fast, and secure FTP hosting are in for a treat. With prices starting at a mere $0.80/month, Hostinger proves that quality FTP server hosting doesn't have to cost a fortune.
Its entry plan comes with 10GB of storage, 100GB monthly bandwidth, and 1 FTP account. I can make this deal even better.
If you enter the discount code HOSTINGREVIEW at the checkout, the price drops down to $0.72/mo or $34.56 for 4 years.
Of course, there are scalability options - 2 more shared hosting plans with up to 30GB of disk space, cloud hosting, and scalable VPS hosting. All of them include unlimited FTP accounts.
But there's something more that all these options have in common.
All Hostinger servers come with an easy to use Drag-and-Drop FTP client. However, more advanced users will be glad to hear that Hostinger also makes it easy to connect to its servers through third-party clients like FileZilla FTP.
The FTP over SSL is default too making the operations highly secure.
But hosting is not just FTP. It also has to be fast, reliable, and easy to manage. So when I said that Hostinger doesn't slack on quality - I meant it.
- The performance of the host for such a low price is unbeatable.
- 24/7 customer support available via chat - agents are fast, friendly, and highly professional.
- The hosting accounts are managed through a custom control panel. Its intuitive graphical interface is easy for the beginners to handle and professionals also praise it for functionality.
For an affordable price, Hostinger provides a service that is difficult to compete with. It is great for first-time users and pros with startup projects alike.
Hostinger leads the list of the best FTP server hosting providers by offering the service for the cheapest price. It also features top-level performance, advanced FTP settings, and intuitive controls.
- Cheapest FTP server hosting
- High-speed hosting
- Intuitive user interface
- Phone support is not available
2. HostGator - User-Friendly Anonymous FTP Hosting
HostGator is a hosting provider that aims to make hosting available even for the most inexperienced users. That comes in the shape of easy to use control panel and professional server management. HostGator works to ensure stability, fast performance, and security.
Advanced features for secure file transfer are too available. HostGator supports FTP, SFTP, and SSH access. FTP accounts are unlimited.
HostGator has one of the higher price tags on this list. Although the pricing still remains affordable. The cheapest plan costs $2.75/mo.
But it's possible to save a little bit.
HOSTINGREVIEW coupon code reduces the original price 61.5% if purchasing the plans for 3-years.
This way, you would pay $96.33 for 3-years of the cheapest plan. It includes unlimited disk space, bandwidth, domain name, and an SSL certificate. The most expensive option will make Anonymous FTP available - this way you can enable public downloads and more.
The provider is one of the most advanced secure FTP server hosting providers. It supports all essential protocols - SFTP, FTPS, and SSH access. The more advanced plans also have anonymous FTP. HostGator also supports any client you want to use so there's no need to use the software you're not used to.
Talking about ease of use, HostGator is pretty good at this too:
- cPanel is a default control panel - the premium interface is intuitive and easy for beginners to handle. It's easy to find the file manager, FTP settings, and other configurations.
- One-click installs are located in cPanel - the scripts help to install such software like WordPress, Joomla, or Magento simply with a click of a button.
- A drag-and-drop website builder is included. Alongside dozens of themes, it's an easy way to create a website using a visual interface.
Provider also has tons of tutorials and guides. 24/7 customer support is also available - I've personally always enjoyed the way the HostGator's team works.
So the provider is a very great option for both beginners and developers - the combination of ease of use and advanced features puts the provider on among the best.
HostGator is one of a few providers to offer anonymous FTP server hosting. It combines beginner-friendly hosting features with advanced technology fit for professionals.
- Anonymous FTP hosting available
- cPanel user interface
- Drag-and-drop site builder
- Higher starting price
- Tends to get slow with updates
3. A2 Hosting - Fast FTP Hosting for Business Needs
Server speed is the main focus of A2 Hosting. It aims to provide a hosting service that's considerably faster than the competitors. More often than not, A2 Hosting achieves that - alongside other features that it includes for a rather affordable price.
A2 Hosting monthly starting price is $2.96. The entry plan includes unlimited storage and bandwidth with 5 databases and 25 email addresses.
Options to scale are available - being one of the biggest providers, A2 Hosting has 2 other shared hosting plans, WordPress, VPS, reseller, and dedicated hosting packages.
All of them include FTP accounts and SSH access. Free SSL is included too for the secure transfer of the files.
A2 Hosting Features
All A2 Hosting packages come with a graphical FTP interface which will make it easy for tech-rookies to connect to the server. A2 Hosting a great service for developers too - it's possible to access the servers through Secure Shell (SSH).
You can also choose from Filezilla, SmartFTP, or any other FTP client - there's no need to switch to an interface you're not comfortable with.
As for the speed and security, A2 Hosting is well equipped too:
- SSD disks come as default - much faster than their predecessors, HDD disks.
- Server location choice is available - Michigan, Arizona, Amsterdam, and Singapore regions.
- Cloudflare CDN is included to increase page loading times and ensure stability.
- HackScan Protection which blocks potential hacks before they damage your site is included.
- Free KernelCare updates, a dual firewall, and protection against brute-force attacks are default as well.
That is a lot of features that are designed to boost performance and ensure security. Together with an easy FTP configuration and SSH access, A2 Hosting is a great option for all businesses' needs.
A2 Hosting is best for those who need the combination of speed, security, and advanced server features. Although not as cheap as Hostinger, A2 offers great value for money.
- Easy FTP hosting configuration
- Speed-boosting features
- Advanced security features
- Higher starting price
4. InterServer - The Best Long-Term Hosting Option
InterServer is one of the best long-term options for fast and secure FTP server hosting. Not only is it affordable, but the pricing stays the same for as long as you're using the provider.
The provider has only one plan that's originally priced at $5/mo. However, by pre-paying for longer-term you can save up to 20%.
The plan is equipped with unlimited storage and bandwidth as well as FTP accounts, weekly backups, and LiteSpeed servers.
Also, you can configure as many FTP accounts as needed - there's no limit.
InterServer is exceptionally well-equipped. Both FTP, FTPS, and even SFTP are available. The account creation and management are done through cPanel - its graphical interface allows to easily configure all the settings. InterServer allows using any FTP client you want but recommends Filezilla as it's widely preferred by professionals and the support agents are well-acquainted with it.
The host is very rich in security and performance features as well:
- InterServer's in-house developed security package is included - it contains a machine learning firewall, DDoS protection, virus scanning, and malware database.
- In-house caching service, as well as Cloudflare DNS and CDN, are included for the fast loading of the website.
- 50% server capacity practice is implemented so the servers are not overcrowded and can work optimally.
Free site migration, 24/7 customer support, and weekly backups are also included. Of course, let's not forget that InterServer has a price-lock guarantee. This means no insane pricing increases other providers are known for making InterServer the best long-term option.
InterServer is a no-nonsense provider with transparent pricing, great server configurations, and strong security practices. If you're looking for a long-term solution, the provider is on top of my recommendations list.
- Transparent pricing
- Professional server management
- Advanced security measures
- No options to scale in a shared hosting environment
5. DreamHost - Reliable WordPress Hosting With SFTP
DreamHost is an all-inclusive premium hosting provider mostly focusing on WordPress users. It is a great option for businesses that require high availability - the host can provide with its 100% uptime guarantee.
It is easy to use for beginners but includes advanced features as well. FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and SSH are all available. This means, transferring files securely will be fast and easy.
With all of the premium features, DreamHost is surprisingly affordable. It only has 2 shared hosting plans priced at $2.59 and $5.95 per month each. Both of them are equipped with unlimited bandwidth, domain names, domain privacy, and SSL certificates.
Regarding FTP - DreamHost has a pretty standard set of features. The provider supports FTP, SFTP, and SSH - you can use any client you want but as many providers, DreamHost recommends Filezilla for reliability and ease of use. Unfortunately, FTPS is not available yet SFTP should be more than enough for secure transfer.
So using the provider, it's possible to easily transfer the files in and out of the servers.
By far the more impressive are WordPress features offered by DreamHost. After all, it's the website speed, design, and efficient management that will bring you traffic and generate profits.
DreamHost is endorsed by WordPress. This means the platform comes with a lot of benefits:
- CMS comes pre-installed and servers are configured to run the platform specifically.
- Automatic updates are also in place so there's no need to worry about the security issues created by updated software or plugins.
- Built-in WordPress website builder - helps easily create beautiful designs using a drag-and-drop editor.
- Daily backups ensuring that a functioning copy of the website is available should the worst happen.
With all the features and 100% uptime guarantee, DreamHost is the best provider for WordPress. It offers not just a secure way of transferring files, but the ease of use and reliability business users require.
DreamHost provides well-optimized WordPress hosting with an 100% uptime guarantee and secure file transfer protocols. It's one of the best options for business users in need of high security and reliability.
- WordPress-optimized FTP server hosting
- Daily backups and domain privacy included
- Drag-and-drop WordPress builder
- Does not support FTPS
- Scaling tends to get expensive
Best FTP Server Hosting Providers - the Verdict
When it comes to purchasing hosting services, it all depends on the website you're making. FTP server hosting is no exception.
So whether you are starting a personal blog or eCommerce store, the hosts on the list will offer the needed features. All of them are great, but here's what each of the providers is best at:
- Hostinger is a secure, fast, and user-friendly FTP hosting option for a very cheap price.
- HostGator makes hosting available to beginners and offers advanced FTP options as well.
- A2 Hosting provides performance-boosting features and advanced FTP options.
- InterServer is highly secure, transparent, and easy to manage FTP server hosting provider.
- DreamHost focuses on providing reliable and secure WordPress hosting packages.
Are you transferring your files securely? Share the best practices in the comment section down below!
Best Free FTP Server Software: The Top Picks
When you need to transfer files between your computer and a remote server, a file transfer protocol (FTP) server application...
5 Best FTP Clients On The Market – Manage Your...
Everyone wants fast and secure file transfers - and that's where FTP platforms come in handy. They usually provide faster...