When it comes to creating a website, purchasing a domain name, and hosting it - GoDaddy is one of the first options to pop up in the search results. It is a major domain registrar, website builder, and hosting provider.
But the biggest does not equal the best, right?
Many times I've seen GoDaddy failing to keep up with the hosts that are not as popular. It is more expensive, has more upsells, and performance... Well, let's just say that there are many faster options.
You're definitely not alone who's looking for a better version of GoDaddy.
But how this giant became so popular in the first place?
The answer is simple - the provider has everything that's needed to start and grow a successful site. It has domain names, easy to use interface, a website builder for beginners, and extensive support options. Not to mention the limitless scalability options.
As time went by, other providers quickly caught up. But GoDaddy, thanks to its strong brand recognition, remained the leader.
Not for long. I picked and tested dozens of providers that are both more affordable and offer better performance results.
So what are these GoDaddy alternatives?
The Best GoDaddy Alternatives
An alternative wouldn't be a good alternative if it didn't offer the same or better functionality, features, and performance. So when testing the hosting providers, that was my main criteria - the host has to be better than GoDaddy.
Of a bunch of providers, only 5 were truly exceptional. Here are the best GoDaddy alternatives:
- Bluehost - best GoDaddy alternative for WordPress.
- HostGator - GoDaddy alternative for beginners.
- Hostinger - the cheapest GoDaddy alternative.
- HostPapa - a great GoDaddy alternative with a professional support team.
- A2 Hosting - one of the best performing GoDaddy alternatives.
Just like GoDaddy, Bluehost is a giant in its field. The provider focuses on WordPress optimized hosting and is even endorsed by the platform's creators themselves. So it is doing something very right. And I happen to know exactly what that is:
- Complete ease of use - Bluehost has adapted the cPanel interface so beginners could understand what each and every function means. It has prepared an interactive guide for setting up and running WordPress as well.
- Affordable pricing - the pricing for shared hosting starts at $2.95/mo and has all the essentials already included. Things like domain names, SSL, and backups.
- Scalability options - Bluehost has a complete infrastructure for scaling - you can grow from shared hosting to VPS and dedicated platforms. It also has managed platform for WordPress and WooCommerce-optimized plans.
- Great support infrastructure - not only Bluehost has tons of guides, but its support is always helpful and available 24/7 via phone, email, or live chat.
- Premium website builder - if you're not interested in WordPress, Weebly is also available from Bluehost's interface. It's one of the most advanced and overall best website builders there are right now.
Of course, some drawbacks exist - Bluehost also increases pricing at the renewal. However, it is still cheaper than GoDaddy - compare Bluehost's $2.95 at the beginning with GoDaddy's $4.33. And with the latter, SSL costs extra.
The pricing can actually be compared pretty easily:
|Total introductory cost||$2.95/month||$13.99/month|
As you can see, Bluehost happens to be much cheaper. And the results show, its performance is great as well.
Bluehost Performance Results
Bluehost is optimized for WordPress, so using a guide provided by the host, I easily set up a simple site on the CMS.
The results showed great performance - Bluehost averages at 299ms response time. It is an excellent result for the price and shared hosting platform.
Unfortunately, the provider does not have an uptime guarantee. However, the results have shown no downtime. Knowing how many people trust Bluehost, we'll take the proof rather than promises.
Combined with everything, Bluehost offers way better value than GoDaddy. Especially for WordPress hosting.
Bluehost is one of the best GoDaddy alternatives as it has all the essentials to easily start a website. From WordPress optimizations to beginner-friendly website builder, and of course - flawless performance.
- WordPress optimized hosting
- Beginner-friendly platform
- Affordable pricing
- Higher renewal pricing
- No uptime guarantee
HostGator outperforms GoDaddy in terms of ease of use and pricing. Just as it promises, the host delivers an amazing user interface as well as very affordable pricing. Combine it with unlimited plans and all essentials like domain names, SSL certificates, and customer support - you'll get one of the best GoDaddy alternatives.
HostGator pricing for shared hosting starts at $2.75/mo (or $2.68 with HOSTINGREVIEW coupon code) and already includes tons of features:
- Unlimited disk space, bandwidth, subdomains, email accounts, FTP accounts, and MySQL databases.
- All website-beginner essentials - domain name, SSL certificate, and free site transfers.
- cPanel control panel and one-click installs for the ease of use.
- Drag-and-drop website builder for complete beginners or those who want to set up a website in minutes.
24/7 customer support is also available via phone and live chat. As I found out, HostGator really works hard to provide its users with the best help.
So when compared to GoDaddy, HostGator offers much more for a way cheaper price. We already calculated how much all the essentials would cost with GoDaddy monthly - $13.99. HostGator includes all of that as a default for $2.75.
Talking about the performance, HostGator is no less impressive.
HostGator Performance Results
The cheap provider averages at 371ms response time with no outages. That's a great performance for such a price. Especially considering that I was testing the cheapest shared hosting plan.
HostGator has a 99.9% uptime guarantee. We can clearly see, that this hosting provider lives up to this promise. It exceeded my expectations and had zero downtime.
Concluding everything, we can see how HostGator outperforms GoDaddy and does it for affordable pricing as well.
HostGator is one of the best GoDaddy alternatives for easy to use and powerful hosting. It has all the most essential features included even in its cheapest plan.
- Easy to use
- Stable server performance
- Affordable pricing
- Higher renewal pricing
Hostinger is one of the cheapest hosts in the web hosting industry. That is already a big plus as a GoDaddy's competitor. Besides being an affordable host, Hostinger has fast servers and great scalability.
This hosting provider uses top-notch hardware to make sure that its hosted websites stay fast and don't experience downtime. Even choosing the cheapest Hostinger's plan performance stays great. Yet if you're looking for more power, it's really easy to scale and upgrade to higher-tier plans that perform even better.
Hostinger's cheapest plan starts at $0.80 a month ($0.72 when you use HOSTINGREVIEW coupon code through our link) and has these features included:
- Resources for your hosting - 10GB of SSD storage and 100GB bandwidth;
- Features for security like weekly backups, hotlink protection, SSL;
- Performance boosters such as Cache Manager and Cloud Linux.
- One-click installs and easy to use custom control panel for beginner-friendly hosting.
Pricier shared hosting plans also include such features as daily backups, free domain registration, SSH access, and more resources.
It doesn't matter what plan you choose, Hostinger provides 24/7 support that is available via chat and email. However, this host does not provide phone support, although my review of the host proved it's completely okay without it.
Hostinger's shared hosting solutions are better for small to medium websites. Yet, if you're willing to build a bigger website (or already have one) - this host makes it really easy and affordable to scale. Starting from shared hosting, you can upgrade to Cloud, VPS, or dedicated server hosting.
For example, the cheapest VPS plan GoDaddy offers will cost you $24.99/month, meanwhile, Hostinger's VPS plan pricing starts as low as $3.95/month. Even the priciest VPS hosting plan from this host barely overprices the cheapest VPS solution from GoDaddy.
At the same time, even a shared hosting solution didn't fail me with its performance.
Hostinger Performance Results
This fast provider stands its ground with an amazing performance. Hostinger averaged at 271ms response time. There was only one small spike in performance and it barely went over 500ms.
Hostinger also manages to stay true to its 99.99% uptime guarantee. Even better, it managed to stay stable throughout all the testing period and had an uptime of 100%.
It's clearly noticeable that Hostinger performs better than GoDaddy. Not only it is more stable it comes way cheaper as well.
Hostinger is one of the best GoDaddy alternatives for people on a budget. Even with such cheap pricing, it manages to outperform such a major provider.
- Incredibly cheap pricing
- Great server performance
- Intuitive and easy to use
- Is not equipped with a lot of features
HostPapa is a great web hosting provider that has a great support team. Alongside being a professional in answering users' queries, this host offers resourceful and cheap solutions for any type of hosting.
Many providers on this list tend to offer cheaper plans than GoDaddy does. However, HostPapa doesn't focus on pricing only. In fact, it has features that challenge all of GoDaddy's arsenal. That would be professional support and beginner-friendly hosting.
The cheapest shared hosting plan starts at $3.95 a month ($2.95 with HOSTINGREVIEW coupon code if you purchase it through our link). However, the final price may differ since HostPapa tends to add extra paid features to your basket at checkout. So to avoid upsells, try to double-check your basket before purchasing a plan.
Well, but here's what is actually included in HostPapa's cheapest plan:
- Essentials like a free domain for a year, SSL, free website transfer;
- Resources for hosting - 100GB of SSD storage and unmetered bandwidth;
- Beginner-friendly features such as one-click installs, cPanel control panel, and a drag-and-drop website builder;
- Performance improving features such as a free Cloudflare CDN and Cloud Linux servers.
And the cherry on top - HostPapa's support that works 24/7 and is available via chat, phone, and email.
The experience I had with this host's support is nothing but amazing. The live chat answers immediately and communicates in a familiar manner that is easy to understand. For non-native English speakers, there is a possibility to be served in German, French, or Spanish.
Merely with its support HostPapa manages to be a great GoDaddy alternative. Especially, since GoDaddy's support sometimes tends to be unpredictable and has limited working hours.
Surprisingly, HostPapa doesn't fail to deliver great performance in its shared hosting plans as well.
HostPapa Performance Results
Even if this provider named itself in a quirky way, it doesn't joke around when it comes to performance. HostPapa's response times averaged at 419ms and had only two larger spikes throughout the week of testing.
Just like other providers on this list, HostPapa offers stable performance with an uptime of 100%. It's noticeable that performance-related features deliver good results in this host's shared hosting plans.
HostPapa can be easily considered a great GoDaddy alternative, especially because of its professional support team and easy to use interface.
- Exceptional support team
- Resourceful plans
- Beginner-friendly interface
- Common aggressive marketing
A2 Hosting is one of the fastest GoDaddy competitors in the hosting industry. It offers affordable and high-speed hosting with great scalability options. This hosting provider is also known for having reliable servers that deliver stable performance.
All of the providers on this list offer cheaper web hosting than GoDaddy does. And each one of them has specific features that are good for certain types of hosting. In this case, A2 Hosting is great for small to medium business websites. Yet, it is able to scale enough to host large enterprises as well.
The cheapest A2 Hosting shared hosting plan starts at $2.96 a month. It includes features like:
- Website essentials such as free SSL and site migration;
- Unlimited SSD storage and bandwidth for resourceful hosting;
- Beginner-friendly features such as 1-click installs, comfortable control panel;
- Free Cloudflare CDN, optimized servers, choice of data center's location for better performance.
This hosting provider also has a great support team that works 24/7 and is available via chat, phone, and email.
However, A2 Hosting does not include a free domain registration in its plans. Yet, it shouldn't be such a problem since most hosts offer a free domain only for one year. A custom domain with A2 would cost you $14.95 a year.
If we add the domain's cost to the cheapest plan's price it adds up to $4.21 a month. Still less than GoDaddy's cheapest plan - $4.33/month, without essentials like SSL.
Pricing aside, I was interested if A2 Hosting outperforms GoDaddy. So I did some performance tests with its shared hosting plans.
A2 Hosting Performance
I set up a simple website and monitored it for a week. A2 Hosting's response times averaged at 351ms. In addition, the performance wasn't too spiky.
It seems that A2 Hosting didn't lie about providing stable server performance as well. Thanks to it, my website didn't go down, not even once. So this host lives up to its uptime guarantee and even manages to outperform it.
A2 Hosting works well as a GoDaddy's alternative due to its fast and reliable performance that comes for affordable pricing.
- Features to speed up sites
- cPanel for easy management
- Generous amount of resources
- No free domain
Best GoDaddy Alternatives - the Verdict
While there is no all-in-one perfect solution for your web hosting needs, some hosting companies are simply better than others. GoDaddy happens to have a lot of competitors in this field.
The ones that have made it on this list have shown excellent uptimes, fast server speeds, quality customer service from a knowledgeable support team, a great lineup of features, and more, making them the best GoDaddy alternatives.
All of the hosting providers on this list are capable to compete with GoDaddy and even outperform it. However, each host shines in a different field. So your choice depends on what kind of website you're going to build.
- Bluehost is a beginner-friendly host and a great option for WordPress websites.
- HostGator is a great hosting provider for medium to large websites.
- Hostinger is a really cheap hosting solution for small to medium sites but does not limit your scalability options.
- HostPapa is a great web hosting for beginners in general since it has a great support team.
- A2 Hosting is a fast hosting provider that is great for small to medium projects.
So that's it for my list of GoDaddy alternatives. I hope this helped you choose a great hosting provider. If you're still not sure, our best web hosting list might just do the job.