What’s The Best Website Builder For Artists?
2019 January 8th at 12:01
An artists website is essentially a gallery which can be seen and shared around the world in seconds.
The artists are more and more familiar with the perks of being visible online - websites, portfolios, and blogs are taking the internet by storm, offering everything you can think about. And arguably something you've never thought about.
This is why you need a website that's going to be both functional and absolutely beautiful.
And helping you build that website is my goal here - by bringing you the best website builders for artists. Here's what they are:
- Wix - Great variety of customization tools
- Weebly - Extremely easy to use
- GoCentral - Modern templates
- Squarespace - Beautiful website with minimal effort
Recommended for: users who want tons of pre-built templates and a simple drag and drop editor.
It is largely known for its user-friendly interface that creates websites using a simple drag and drop editor.
Wix has over a whopping 500 mobile-optimized templates. However, for artists who want to build a custom and completely unique website, that's also possible - there's an option to start with a completely blank template.
There are many impressive features to ensure that your website will stand out from the crowd. These include - video backgrounds, parallax, and animation, and what's better is that you can do it all completely code-free.
These are the most impressive Wix features for artists:
- Users can share their ideas with the Wix blogging feature
- If you would like to sell your art, you can create storefronts to sell digital and physical products with Wix stores
- With Wix Photography, users can create media galleries with high-quality images, video, and text
- Custom domains are also available for users who upgrade their account
What About The Price?
Wix provides a free plan, however, it is quite limited. You can't sell online, the page will have Wix's own branding and there even won't be a way to connect your own domain.
And if you, for example, are looking to connect a custom domain, it will cost you anywhere from $5.00 per month, to $14.00 per month - depending on the which plan you choose.
Also, for artists who want to set up an online shop, the eCommerce package starts at $17.00 per month.
- Drag and drop editor
- Over 500+ templates
- Fully responsive design
- Premium support with all plans
- Limited free trial
- Connect plan includes ads
Recommended for: users who want a user-friendly website builder with a decent free plan.Weebly allows the user to create a free website with extreme ease. Its drag and drop editor is known for being one of the most robust editors there is.
There are hundreds of themes to choose from that are fully responsive and customizable. Users can add things like video and parallax backgrounds, a built-in image editor, custom fonts and HD video and audio.
The Weebly portfolio is one of its strongest features. There are plenty of pre-built portfolio templates, and users can add things like an image gallery, forms, HD video, and PDFs. This, of course, makes it a great choice for artists looking to show offer their work.
Upgrading Your Weebly Account
The Weebly free plan is a great place to get your website off the ground. However, for artists, I would recommend the Pro plan which is priced at $12.00 per month. This includes a free or custom domain, basic eCommerce features, SEO tools, as well as email and chat support.
There are plenty of other options, though, with prices ranging from $8.00 - $38.00.
- User-friendly interface with drag and drop editor
- Email and live chat support
- Good blog and portfolio features
- Plenty of package options
- Free plan is limited for professional artists
Recommended for: users who want a simple interface with fewer customization options.GoCentral uses a simple interface with a clear dashboard for creating your website. While there are fewer customization options compared to Wix or Weebly, there are still enough to make it a good website builder for artists.
There aren't a great number of templates to choose from with GoCentral - but they are relatively modern and good-looking. Customization is slightly limited, though you can change the color scheme, header/footer, and fonts.
Let's take a look at some of the other key GoCentral features for artists
- Professional Imagery feature gives photographers a good place to showcase their work
- A simple and easy-to-use blogging platform is available
- Swipe-to-style interface allows the user to create a website fast
- Mix and Match sections to build a custom website easily
GoCentral - It's Fast, Easy, But Limited
Unlike Weebly and Wix, there is no free plan. There are four paid plans ranging from $5.99 - $29.00 per month.
The two paid plans that I'd recommend to artists are the Business ($9.99) and the Business plus ($14.99). The major difference between the two is social media integration which is something artists may find useful.
- Quick and easy to build a website
- 24/7 support features
- Swipe-to-style interface
- Photo editing and gallery
- Blogging feature is limited to images and text
- Mobile site excluded from the entry-level plan
- eCommerce feature will cost you $29.99 per month
Recommended for: users who want a unique looking website with awesome design features.
What Squarespace does so well is that it gives the user a professional looking website with minimal effort.
The pages made on this platform are incredibly beautiful - and of course, this should be a great thing for most artists.
But it's not only looks that Squarespace has going for itself - there are features, too. Let's take a deeper look at a few of those.
- Users can create eye-catching portfolios
- Fully responsive website to suit all types of devices
- Integrable social media options will allow you to showcase your work with ease
Creativity and beauty are what Squarespace does best, and for photographers, illustrators, and graphic designers, it is a match made in heaven.
Squarespace costs like a piece of fine art
Squarespace not only looks like an art piece. It will cost like one, too.
There is no free plan The four paid plans ranging from $12.00 - $40.00, depending on which plan you choose and whether you want to utilize the eCommerce features.
However, the Personal plan ($12.00) is actually pretty good value. It includes mobile-optimized website and unlimited storage. No eCommerce there, however - you need to pay more for that.
- Drag and drop editor
- 24/7 support features
- eCommerce and hosting options available
- Unique blogging platform
- Steeper learning curve
- No free plan
So, Which Is The Best Website Builder For Artists?
The four website builders I have chosen all bring something different and unique for artists. It really comes down to what sort of website you are looking to build and how you wish to showcase your work.
To help further your decision, I have created a list of what (I believe) each of these website builders does best.
- Wix is best suited to users who want hundreds of templates and a drag and drop editor
- Weebly would make a good choice for artists who want portfolio and blog options for free
- GoCentral is suited for inexperienced website builders who want to create a gallery.
- Squarespace is best suited to professional artists who want to achieve beautiful design easily.
As I said, they each bring something different to the table. For example, Weebly has one of the most impressive portfolios out of all the website builders, while Wix, on the other hand, provides a great all-around package for artists.
I would recommend GoCentral to artists who aren't too fussed about a unique custom website. However, Squarespace has the most advanced design options available that would suit graphic designers looking to showcase their brand. And Wix and Weebly are great all-around providers for all sorts of artists.
So, after testing dozens of website builder, I came to the conclusion that these are the top 4 website builders for artists. However, if you have any other builders you think should have made this list, please let me know in the comments below!
5 Best DIY Website Builders: An Easy Way To Make A Website
2019 August 6th
Today, you don't need to hire a professional and spend your hard-earned money to have a website. You can easily build a website yourself,...
5 Best Squarespace Templates for Your Projects
2019 July 19th
Squarespace is one of the most popular website builders on the market for many good reasons: It offers an all-around website-building solution with powerful...