Whether you are a poet, a novelist, a blogger or the author of a children's book - the world wide web is a great way to showcase your work.
And for many writers, spending weeks, or even months building their website is a task simply not worth the time. This is where website builders come in, offering a simple way to make a beautiful page.
But with hundreds of website builders to choose from, how can you be sure to choose the perfect one for you?
Well, as you can probably figure out, I'm a writer myself. And with that in mind, I had a look at all of the main website builders available to pick out the best ones for you.
Every platform on the list right here is worthy to be called the best website builder for authors:
- WordPress - hundreds of free and inexpensive themes
- SITE123 - best website builder for authors for ease of use.
- GoDaddy Website Builder - great for SEO integration.
- Squarespace - Powerful integrations with MailChimp and Google Drive.
- Weebly - around 100+ categorized themes to choose from
- Wix - stunning designs and ease of use.
From $0.00 /month
Recommended for: authors who want to post regular content and a self-hosted site.
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms there is. It's free, easy to use and user-friendly.
This is the platform that allows you to have everything the way you want it. It means that if you wish to have a simple blog - you can get it. And if you want to have a huge website with beautiful visual and edge-cutting features - with good WordPress themes that's possible too.
But what other features does it have to offer?
- WordPress provides hundreds of free and inexpensive themes
- Its intuitive interface allows the user to publish blog posts easily
- Compatible with Android, iOS, and Mac devices
Two WordPress Platforms - Two Payment Ways
On the WordPress.com website, you can pick the free plan, and also a few of the premium ones. They're priced from $5 to around $25 a month. However, if you wish to save more money, you can always purchase web hosting and download WordPress for free in there - as it's an open-source application for you to use.
This way, your expenses could go down even more - good cheap web hosting can be found starting from around $1-$2 a month.
- Free option
- Plenty of customization options
- Thousands of professional plugins
- Not as simple as some other popular website builders
Recommended for: creating stunning websites, blogs, and eCommerce in no time.
When it comes to choosing a website builder for authors, simplicity is the key. After all, you don't want to be spending weeks just to make a beautiful website. SITE123 can do that in half a day.
SITE123 is a simple and intuitive website builder featuring dozens of pre-designed templates. Everything can be mixed and matched to create unique designs.
How everything goes? As easy as 1-2-3 - you'll simply need to choose a template, customize it, and upload your content.
So what features make SITE123 great for authors and writers?
- Free domain - you won't need to spend extra to have a professional-looking site.
- Library of free images and icons - will save you time to get professional visuals.
- Powerful blogging platform - unique templates, comment sections, social sharing, etc.
- Bookings and eCommerce - so you can sell your works too.
- Email marketing features to promote your next bestseller.
Affordable Plans Meet Premium Features
Pricing with SITE123 is simple - you get a free trial, test it out, and then choose the plan that's most suitable for your needs. It has 4 options ranging from $6.48 to $17.28/month.
The cheapest option already includes eCommerce and all premium features but is limited to 10GB of disk space and 5GB of bandwidth. You can easily start with that and move to more expensive plans offering more resources.
So as your website's audience and size grow, you can advance in the same platform without the need to migrate. Also, if you choose to pay for a longer period instead of a 1-year default, it's possible to reduce the price significantly.
- Dozens of responsive templates
- Extra features for blogging
- eCommerce features included
- Might lack advanced customizations
From $5.99 /month
Recommended for: authors or writers who want a website in minutes that looks great on mobile devices.
GoDaddy website builder (previously known as GoCentral) is built for creating simple and good-looking websites that look great on mobile devices. One of its main design features is its swipe-to-style interface, which gives the user the option to create and update their website from their phone.
For writers who use illustrations alongside their writing, there is a mix and match section too that allows the user to build a unique layout. It uses a well-constructed editor to do so and comes complete with an impressive blogging platform.
Let's take a look at what makes GoCentral one of the best website builders for writers:
- Layouts are responsive and look excellent on mobile devices
- GoCentral offers its clients a free trial
- Easy to add social media widgets
- Authors can talk directly to their customer's thanks to the GoCentral SEO tools
GoDaddy Website Builder Plans
There are two price plans on offer from GoCentral. The Personal plan is priced at $5.99 per month and includes a custom domain, responsive mobile design, and 24/7 support. This plan would be well suited to writers or journalists. The performance of the pages is great and it's a simple page-creating experience, allowing you to focus more on your writing.
Suited for professional authors who are looking for SEO tools and Payment buttons - the Business plan is priced at $9.99 per month.
- Plenty of design features
- Sites look great on mobile
- Free trial is limited
- Editor layouts are limited in comparison to Wix/Squarespace
From $12.00 /month
Recommended for: professional writers or publishers who want a stunning website.
Squarespace makes the list almost every time, as it is one of the best and easiest to use platforms for building appealing websites.
You can build your website using a bunch of ready-made layouts - in fact, Squarespace lets you choose from over 100 different award-winning templates.
The in-house editor also makes it easy to add galleries, generate contact forms and integrate your social media platforms. On top of this, you can also integrate third-party tools such as MailChimp and build your subscribers' list.
But what else does it include?
- Easy to use drag and drop editor to arrange your content
- Powerful website integrations, such as Adobe and Google Drive
- Responsive mobile-optimized design
What About the Price?
There are two plans: Personal (which is priced at $12.00), and Business (which is priced at $18.00).
For writers, I would recommend the Personal plan. But for publishers that may want to sell products, such as books - or even manage subscriptions - the Business plan would be best suited as it includes eCommerce.
- Plenty of professionally designed templates
- 24/7 support service
- Integrate third-party tools such as MailChimp
- A little on the pricey side of website builders
- Customization options are limited
From $0.00 /month
Recommended for: writers or authors who want a professional-looking website that is easy to set up.
Up next, its Weebly. This simple to use platform provides users with a drag and drop editor to create your websites. There are around 100+ themes to choose from, and each one is placed in its deserved category.
One of the most impressive things about Weebly is its editor - not only is it easy to navigate, but there are lots of options. You can add text, titles, images, buttons, contact forms, newsletter forms, and documents - the list goes on.
Creating your own blog is super simple too - in fact, all it takes is the simple task of pointing your mouse and clicking.
Let's take a more in-depth look at why Weebly is in my top 5 best websites for authors.
- It is among the easiest website builder to use with its drag and drop editor
- Users can integrate third-party tools such as MailChimp
- Choose from over 100 professional themes to kick-start your website
Upgrading to Premium Plans
Like most of the website building giants - Weebly provides multiple paid plans. To connect your custom domain with Weebly, it will cost you just $5.00 per month.
However, for writers/authors, I would recommend upgrading to its Starter plan which is $8.00 per month. This includes unlimited storage, eCommerce, SSL security and advanced site stats.
For users who want HD video, phone support, and membership registration, there is also a Business plan priced at $25.00 per month.
- Simple drag and drop editor
- Easy to set up and user-friendly
- Its starter plan is great value for money
- 24/7 live chat and email support services
- SEO services aren't the best from Weebly
- Ads are displayed unless you upgrade to Starter plan
From $0.00 /month
Recommended for: writers or bloggers who want stunning preset designs with an advanced blogging feature.
Up next, we have Wix. This platform offers over 500 themes! This extensive range of templates doesn't hinder the customization process in any way either. In fact, this is one of Wix's best assets.
You can add text, GIFs, animation, video backgrounds, scroll effects, embed widgets and a whole lot more. But what's more impressive, is that it's done with a simple drag and drop editor. The only downside to Wix is that once you have selected your theme, you cannot go back and change it.
There's plenty for writers/authors to like, but what's it got for writer/authors to love?
- Wix has one of the best blogging platforms of all website builders
- Create a stunning website to host your stories without writing a line of code
- The design features will suit writers who work with illustrations
- Its editor is a joy to use and crafts stunning designs.
- Wix offers a free plan so you can start building your website instantly
Is Wix Expensive?
To connect a custom domain with Wix it will cost you $5.00 per month.
However, I would recommend upgrading to the Combo account which is $8.50 per month. This plan includes 3GB of storage, 30 minutes of video, an ad-free website, and a free domain for a year.
Wix also provides eCommerce packages that range from $16.50 - $25.00 per month.
Overall, for some that may be a bit on the pricier side. However, looking at the value this builder brings in, this could be a great pick. Just make sure to choose the exact type of plan you need - don't overpay for the features you won't use.
- Offers a wide range of templates
- Extremely easy to use for beginners
- Lots of blogging features
- Has a free plan
- Cannot change your theme once it has been selected
The Best Website Builder for Authors - the Verdict
Of the 6 website builders I have tested, I don't have a specific favorite - all of them offer various great features.
WordPress is impressive for its powerful features and possibility to simplify and host it for free with WordPress.com. SITE123 is flexible and very easy to use builder with various features for authors and writers. GoDaddy Website Builder impresses with simplicity. Wix and Squarespace are also very interesting, just because of the great themes that they offer.
At the end of the day, all is decided by you and what kind of a website do you wish to create. It's important to remember that all of these builders have either free plans or free trials, so you can make a website yourself and see which one is the best for you.
So these are my top website builders for authors and recommendations about them. Think I missed any? Please feel free to share them in the comments below.
Disclosure :Our reviews include affiliate links and if you choose to buy a product, you help support the running of this blog. However, we are not sponsored by any of the providers so we can keep our reviews honest and transparent. Read more...
9 Best Wix Alternatives
Wix, with its easy-to-design templates, a wealth of apps, and sprawling user base is presently the leading website-building platform. However,...
The Best eCommerce Website Builder: Choose The One
Launching your own eCommerce website can be an easy process and eCommerce website builders help you do just that.Not only...
6 Best DIY Website Builders: An Easy Way To Make A W...
Today, you don't need to hire a professional and spend your hard-earned money to have a website. You can easily...