When choosing a website builder, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) should be a key feature to keep in mind. After all, you want your website to rank highly on search engines.
Oh, let's be real, we all just want to be on the first page of Google search results, right?
However, do certain website builders have an advantage over others?
To find that out - we have to look into several various factors. And even with the right product, SEO isn’t just about the web builder you use. It’s also about your knowledge on the subject. That said, there are certain platforms that come with built-in SEO tools, thus making it easier for you to get your website ranking higher on search engines.
With all this in mind, I’m going to tell you about five best website building services for SEO:
- WordPress.org (best website builder, with unlimited possibilities and SEO add-ons)
- Wix (great visual editor with a useful SEO Wiz app)
- Squarespace (every website comes with built-in SEO tools)
- Weebly (all the basic SEO features already included)
- GoDaddy (Business plan comes with an SEO wizard)
$25.00/month (for a Business plan)
Recommended for: Users with coding experience.
WordPress is one of the website building giants of today. And while it takes a lot of coding experience and time to build a great WordPress website from scratch, there's a way out.
For $25 a month, you can get an upper-tier WordPress.com plan, which makes building a website incredibly simple.
With unlimited premium themes, you can make your website look brilliant - easily. Google Analytics integration will help you track your progress, and you'll get access to the best performance and SEO tools a website can get.
If you compare any website builder vs WordPress, you’ll see that the WP platform has thousands of opportunities when it comes to SEO.
WordPress allows you to install as many plugins as you want. With this in mind, thousands of developers have put everything they have into creating some awesome SEO-specific add-ons that help you get your website to the top of the search rankings.
One of the most popular plugins is Yoast. Yoast ranks various aspects of your website based on a traffic light system. With it, you can check everything from your keyword density and placement to your readability score, all of which affect your overall ranking. You can even connect your site to Google’s analytics tools.
- Allows you to create a fully customized website
- Many SEO-specific plugins to choose from
- Easy access to the backend of your website
- You’ll have to pay for hosting - no free plan
- The user interface can be challenging to grasp for novices
Prices start from $14.00/month (free plan available)
Recommended for: Users who want a more visual view of their edits as they make them.
Another website builder that has been in the limelight for some time now is Wix. It's well known for its beautiful templates and great ease of use. However, is Wix good for SEO?
Yes. Yes, it is. While there are rumors that drag-and-drop interfaces don’t do you any favors when it comes to SEO, there is little to back up that statement.
When it comes to Wix vs WordPress SEO, it’s hard to compare the two directly. This is because Wix has its own SEO Wiz app. Once you install the application, you’ll get a personalized plan with a step-by-step guide on how to improve your website’s SEO without having to take a crash course in the subject.
Moreover, Wix websites come with some built-in SEO features, one of which is a free SSL certificate. These allow you to create SEO titles and headings as well as meta descriptions. You can also add image alt tags and create customizable site URLs. Plus, Wix allows you to connect your website to Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
- Easy to use drag and drop interface
- Opportunity to see edits in real-time preview
- Built-in SEO features
- Opportunity to install SEO applications
- The free plan doesn’t allow you to assign a domain to your site
Prices start from $12.00/month (free trial available)
Recommended for: users looking for beautiful and responsive templates
Not only this, the platform offers static URLs for all the pages and collection items on your site. Additionally, with Squarespace, you can add meta descriptions as well as personalize your image alt tags and titles. Moreover, with Google giving priority to mobile-friendly sites, Squarespace has designed all its templates to work on mobile. Last but not least, the platform integrates with Google Search Console and Google Analytics.
- A selection of beautiful templates to choose from
- All templates are mobile-friendly
- Built-in SEO features
- Free SSL certificate with every website
- The user interface isn’t that intuitive for beginners
- Squarespace doesn’t offer a free plan
Prices start from $12.00/month (free plan available)
Recommended for: Users wanting to create a simple business website.
Now, there are thousands of Weebly websites ranking on the first page of Google. This is partly due to the fact that Weebly comes with all the basic SEO functions. With it, you can edit your meta descriptions and titles. You can also customize your URLs as well as add alt tags and titles to your images.
Furthermore, Weebly allows you to install applications to the backend of your website, some of which are specific to SEO. Among the most popular are Positionly and MarketGoo. MarketGoo is free to use and gives you tips on how to increase your inbound links, along with other features.
Last but not least, Weebly comes with a comprehensive analytics tool which tells you which pages on your site visitors view the most. You can also find out about the terms they input into search engines to land on your site and find out about any referring sites sending visitors your way.
- Built-in SEO features
- Great analytics tool
- Option to install SEO-specific applications on your site
- Weebly offers a free plan
- The content management system isn’t as intuitive as other platforms
- Without control over the site and server, you can’t install advanced marketing tools
Prices start from $5.99/month (free trial available)
Recommended for: Users who want to get their website online quickly.
GoDaddy’s Business plan comes with an SEO wizard which gives you suggestions on your keywords. It also gives you tips on how to optimize your site in order to rank higher on Google. Plus, the platform automatically creates a sitemap for you and submits it to Google.
Additionally, you’ll have the chance to add keywords, meta descriptions, image titles and tags, and customized URLs to all your pages. Furthermore, every site integrates with Google Analytics so you can keep track of your progress over time.
Moreover, if you go for one of the eCommerce plans, you’ll get personalized SEO guidance from one of the platform’s experts. You can also call for a free consultation with one of GoDaddy’s experts. Once you sign up for the service, the agent will review your site and take additional steps to optimize it for search engines.
- SEO wizard available to help you with keywords and other functions
- Option to sign up for an SEO service through the platform
- Comes with basic built-in SEO features
- Free trial period available
- Very little creative freedom
- Templates aren’t as visually appealing as other editors
So, Which Is the Best Website Builder for SEO?
When it comes to choosing the best website builder for SEO, it depends entirely on your experience designing websites and your knowledge of SEO. Here are the best website builders with SEO tools, depending on your experience:
- WordPress is best for users who are tech-savvy and have developed a site before
- Wix is the best option for users who need to see their edits in real-time
- Squarespace is best for users wanting a visually appealing template for their site
- Weebly is best for users who are starting a website for business purposes
- GoDaddy is the best option for users who want to go live quickly
Do you have another website builder in mind that is great for SEO? If so, I’d love to know which one you use to get your website to the top of the search rankings.